Red meat increases inflammation ... even organic?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

Red meat increases inflammation ... even organic?

Postby adamt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:51 am

Ive read MD's like Swank all prohibit eating red meat
Some say organic red meat is ok, but some MD's say all red meat increases inflammation so bad for MS.
Is there any journals or evidence that organic red meat is not inflammatory or harmful to MS people?
adamt
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Red meat increases inflammation ... even organic?

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:47 pm

venison is supposed to be mildly anti-inflammatory. i don't have any science per se, just this:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lam ... cts/4814/2

also, best bet diet says, no more than one serving red meat per week. i think that's better by far than an outright elimination.

imho, it's about the IF ratings for the food you eat and the overall daily score. imho it's foolhardy to forgo good nutrition just because a food boosts the pro-inflammatory side of the equation. diversity is key. but you have to do the math. using IF scoring tools, if you start out healthy you want your overall daily score to be +50 (the anti-inflammatory side of the equation gets the positive numbers for some reason). if you have an autoimmune condition you load the anti-inflammatory side more, and aim for +100 at a minimum.

www.nutritiondata.com is the resource i use to get my IF rating estimates on various serving sizes of various foods.

the IF system is the brainchild of monica reinagel: http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/inflammation/#system

i'll link you up to some meal scoring i've done in the past.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby stazmatic » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 pm

I know that red meat is a good source of iron. I have been borderline anemic my whole life. Now that I have cut out red meat my iron numbers are falling even more. I am also gluten-free, dairy-free, legume-free, and I don't eat a lot of eggs. I also do not eat any foods in the mollusk family or any organ meats (these are because I don't like these foods). So my list of iron-rich foods is very decreased because of my present diet.

Anyone have any suggestions on other foods that are high in iron that would fit into my diet??? I do eat a lot of spinach but obviously that is not enough. I also like prunes so I'm going to start eating more.

I am paranoid to take an iron supplement because I am sooooo prone to constipation.

Any suggestions appreciated.
stazmatic
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:00 pm

hey there, afaic, just eat a serving of good rich red meat once (or even twice) a week. game meat if you can get it, grass fed organic again, if you can get it. if you can find a form that's anti-inflammatory, great. if not, you can wipe out the inflammatory properties of a serving of beef, via one single serving of wild salmon.

dark leafy greens are great for a bunch of different things, and i have noticed that spinach, swiss chard and kale seem to be top of the heap. if you can eat a cup of spinach daily, boiled just 3 min to reduce oxalic acid content, dress it to taste, that would be a good start on the iron. if you can top it with sauteed red peppers, those are full of vitamin c which optimize iron absorption from plant foods.

every time i put veggies into eggs for breakfast i use the spinach red pepper combination. also i had mini pizza for lunch today, whole wheat pita for the crust, pesto for the sauce, topped with cooked spinach, red pepper, sliced tomato, hot banana pepper rings, a very little pepperoni, and sprinkle of grated mozzarella. yum!

i took 50mg zinc citrate today, to restock after eating the wheat and dairy. as for constipation from iron supplements, you can decimate *that* with magnesium oxide. it's not a very absorbable form of magnesium and hence goes 'straight through you'.. now what that does for absorption of the iron, i don't know. food sources first!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby NHE » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 am

stazmatic wrote:I am paranoid to take an iron supplement because I am sooooo prone to constipation.

Any suggestions appreciated.

A few months ago, I had a family member that was anemic and they took a liquid iron supplement from Flora. They did not complain of constipation.

http://www.vitacost.com/flora-floradix- ... ct-formula

Each one of us is just a little different and how your body reacts may not be the same.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:07 am

that one is supposed to be good. i've never tried it myself.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Diet