Red meat increases inflammation ... even organic?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
adamt
Family Elder

Red meat increases inflammation ... even organic?

Post by adamt »

Ive read MD's like Swank all prohibit eating red meat
Some say organic red meat is ok, but some MD's say all red meat increases inflammation so bad for MS.
Is there any journals or evidence that organic red meat is not inflammatory or harmful to MS people?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Red meat increases inflammation ... even organic?

Post by jimmylegs »

venison is supposed to be mildly anti-inflammatory. i don't have any supporting science handy.

also, as one example the best bet diet for ms suggests no more than one serving red meat per week. i think that's better by far than outright elimination.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
stazmatic
Family Member

Post by stazmatic »

I know that red meat is a good source of iron. I have been borderline anemic my whole life. Now that I have cut out red meat my iron numbers are falling even more. I am also gluten-free, dairy-free, legume-free, and I don't eat a lot of eggs. I also do not eat any foods in the mollusk family or any organ meats (these are because I don't like these foods). So my list of iron-rich foods is very decreased because of my present diet.

Anyone have any suggestions on other foods that are high in iron that would fit into my diet??? I do eat a lot of spinach but obviously that is not enough. I also like prunes so I'm going to start eating more.

I am paranoid to take an iron supplement because I am sooooo prone to constipation.

Any suggestions appreciated.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, afaic, just eat a serving of good rich red meat once (or even twice) a week. game meat and/or grass fed organic if you can. the latter two should have a better omega 3 to omega 6 ratio than mainstream sources.

you can combine iron rich foods w vit C to increase absorption from heme and non heme sources.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

stazmatic wrote:I am paranoid to take an iron supplement because I am sooooo prone to constipation.

Any suggestions appreciated.
A few months ago, I had a family member that was anemic and they took a liquid iron supplement from Flora. They did not complain of constipation.

http://www.vitacost.com/flora-floradix- ... ct-formula

Each one of us is just a little different and how your body reacts may not be the same.