here's what I do with salad. first put the ingredients in one of two large bowls. (you need a base bowl and a lid bowl) then:
1) sprinkle on vinegar of choice.. not sure how much I use b/c it depends on the mouth of the individual vinegar jar (eg 8 shakes from the white vinegar bottle which is a re-used soy sauce bottle, 2-3 shakes from the balsamic bottle which is original as-is from the store). optional: augment with lemon juice.
2) salt, black pepper and garlic powder to taste
3) small pinch unbleached organic sugar
4) one large pinch each of dried spearmint and basil. oregano too if i'm in the mood (or a handful of these chopped fresh, in season ie RIGHT NOW
the herb garden is looking amazing
5) briefly pour olive oil in a quick circle over everything
6) add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil
then cover the salad with the other bowl for a lid, and shake it up all together.
top with shredded carrot, sliced meats or hard-boiled egg, grated or crumbled cheese, nuts, seeds, and/or dried fruit to taste.
i'm not very picky about olive oil and I think my flax oil is by 'spectrum'.