(newsflash!) study: 85% of MS patients malnourished

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

(newsflash!) study: 85% of MS patients malnourished

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Individual and Co-occurring SNAP Risk Factors: Investigation of Smoking, Nutrition, Alcohol Consumption, and Physical Activity in Persons with Multiple Sclerosis (2016 in press)
http://www.ijmsc.org/doi/abs/10.7224/1537-2073.2016-040
"Poor diet was the most common risk factor, with 85.5% of the sample not meeting dietary guidelines. Of participants with two or more risk factors, 90.3% were not meeting dietary and physical activity guidelines. There were differential rates of meeting physical activity guidelines between men and women (χ2 = 7.5, P = .01) such that 73% of women were not meeting physical activity guidelines compared with 38% of men. There were further differential rates of the most commonly co-occurring risk factors, insufficient physical activity and poor nutrition by sex (χ2 = 4.2, P = .05), such that 65% of women reported the co-occurrence of insufficient physical activity and poor diet compared with 38% of men."
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Re: (newsflash!) study: 85% of MS patients malnourished

Postby MS_HOPE » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:51 am

Thanks for posting! Clearly diet and lifestyle need to be addressed in people with MS, and these are ignored or understated by most neurologists, to whom many patients look for advice in dealing with their MS. Would be more helpful for the researchers to have included a healthy control group. Unfortunately, the majority of people in the US are malnourished!
MS_HOPE
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:41 am

np :) consumption info is definitely out there separately for general population if not for optimally healthy controls per se. i googled it recently for US and canada at least, quick and easy find. the short list of nutrients not consumed to guidelines is similar for both countries. no surprises in there, except in canada i noted the data table was more informative than the text summary.
it would certainly interest me to see the spectrum of health and disease, serum levels, and diet/lifestyle (antinutient) patterns among individuals who do meet current dietary guidelines.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby ElliotB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:36 pm

"Unfortunately, the majority of people in the US are malnourished!"

This is very true! Most foods available to us have 'empty' calories. MSers and others with or susceptible to major illnesses likely need to be especially careful. as to the foods they consume IMHO.

And so called nutritional 'experts' can't even agree on what foods are really beneficial to us.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:13 pm

i don't think blanket food recommendations for ms patients are wise given that individuals may have widely different histories at diagnosis.

eg i'm super active and i got ms! (do you use up more macro and MICROnutrients than you put in?, let's check out your situation against those RDIs!) or

...i'm a junkivore (TM lol) and i got ms! (probably need to cut the fat content and empty calories among other things, yes? let's compare your situation to those RDIs!) or

...i'm vegetarian/vegan and i got ms! (time to have a look at whether you're getting enough x y and z, let's check those RDIs!) or

..i'm diabetic and i got ms! (hmm look at that list of common suspect nutrients, how does that stack up against your day to day, now let's check the RDIs!)

wait i'm sensing a pattern... but each person's route to meeting RDIs can't be expected to be identical.

i'm not up to date on the challenges or implications, i think it's probably a bit of an unpleasant regulatory can of worms, but it does get on my nerves that there's no access to nutrient content of unprocessed whole food products when shopping. i mean if it's readily available online, why can't vendors post in the store? i mean i know of the odd specialty store that does, but it's far from status quo.
this one site (Canadian Medical Protective Association) looked like it might contain some promising info but it doesn't seem to be resolving atm so in the meantime, short link to the text only / cache version: http://bit.ly/2fG4vib
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:40 am

meanwhile this:
The Canada Food Guide is killing you: ‘The obesity epidemic… really began with our dietary guidelines’
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... guidelines
"Canadians are a pretty obedient bunch when it comes to eating what the government says we should be eating." .... hmm really?

found one related academic publication
http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4962.full.pdf+html
and corrections:
http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h5686

vs this:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/surveill/n ... eng.php#a1
"5 in 10 women and 7 in 10 men have energy intakes that exceed their energy needs.
25% of males and 23% of females, 19 years and older, have fat intakes above the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range.
32% of males and 21% of females, 19 years and older, have carbohydrate intakes below the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby ElliotB » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:02 am

25% of males and 23% of females, 19 years and older, have fat intakes above the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range.
32% of males and 21% of females, 19 years and older, have carbohydrate intakes below the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range.

I am on an extremely high fat diet with very, very minimal carbs and am doing quite well. As I stated previously, there is no agreement on what is truly healthy among the so called 'experts'.

So when there are diets, especially MS diets, that oppose each other in almost every way that seem to work for many regardless of what they follow, it can make critical dieting decisions difficult.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am

we can't justifiably stack single cases up against large meta analyses however. 'i' did very well as a vegan for over 15 yrs.. until i didn't any more :S

a high fat low carb diet (high protein too) would have made (and did make) loads of sense for me once dxd. doesn't mean it would help everyone. and it doesn't mean it would be beneficial forever.

that was the mistake i made in the first place as an early vegan. i had some measurable benefits show up and took things to extremes without paying enough attention to the risks. i *still* note absolute BS on vegan nutrition web sites. ie 'nerve damage' as a risk of b12 deficiency, which is apparently meant to describe 'disintegration of your spinal cord ie that thing allowing your brain to communicate with your body and control your ability to feel things and move your various body parts, nbd)

having learned my lesson about taking one dietary recommendation too far and for too long, going forward it will always be about balance.

it's about common sense really (or should be), and as above, seeing how individuals align (or don't) with general health recommendations, with extra emphasis (ie exceed joe average RDIs for therapeutic purposes) where nutrients known to be problematic for ms patients are concerned.

from where i sit, it just makes no sense to expect experts to agree on one dietary route for all the different kinds of people who arrive at an msdx under the current diagnostic regime.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Diet