Anti-inflammatory nutrition intervention RRMS PPMS (2016)!?!

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

Anti-inflammatory nutrition intervention RRMS PPMS (2016)!?!

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:55 am

still have a long way to go with study design, i see:
Anti-inflammatory nutritional intervention in patients with RR and PP multiple sclerosis: A pilot study (2016)
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10 ... 0215618462

...All patients had insufficient levels of vitamin D at baseline, but their values did not ameliorate following a weekly administration of 5000  IU, and rather decreased over time. ...

... After six months nutritional treatment, no significant changes in neurological signs were observed in any group.

...The disease worsening observed in eight out of the 29 patients with dietary prescription, might be a matter of both the short treatment duration and inter-individual differences of gut dysbiotic microbiota to change in response to dietary intervention.
Pop quiz - what's missing? (hint, top main vit d3 cofactors...):
Dietary supplements, daily dosage, and duration of administration

Dibase Abiogen Pharma, vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), 714 IU/day (5000 IU, once the week, for five months) + 200 IU with a multivitamin complex (Vit M O.T.I.) (daily administration for four months).

SeaLife O.T.I., fish oil pearls containing omega-3 (n-3) PUFA. Daily intake: 5 g EPA + DHA, 60 mg vit. E and 300 mg lipoic acid (for six months);

Resvital O.T.I., Resveratrol. daily intake: 150 mg, for three months;

Vit M O.T.I., multivitamin complex (including oligoelements), per day, for four months: vitamins: C (120 mg), PP (36 mg), E (20 mg), B6 (4 mg), B2 (3.2 mg), B1 (2.8 mg), B12 (2 mcg), A (1.6 mg), D3 (5 mcg); biotin (0.3 mg), pantothenic acid (12 mg), folic acid (0.4 mg); oligoelements: zinc (30 mg), iron (28 mg), copper (3 mg), manganese (3 mg), selenium (120 mcg), fluorine (3 mg), iodine (0.3 mg).
BAD (1. duh, 2. cofactors jeez):
From a practical point of view, data are supporting the idea that the assessment of the nutritional status of vitamin D3 should be made on a routine basis in MS patients and dosage of vitamin D3 should be much higher than that used in this study to counteract the sub-optimal vitamin D3 status. In this respect, it is also evident the need to standardize 25(OH)D3 measurements towards a specific method.
for all those serum tests run, would have been nice if a few more were tracking specific essential nutrients
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Return to Diet