2017 study: Dietary habits in lg population of MS patients

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

2017 study: Dietary habits in lg population of MS patients

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:50 pm

hmm interesting. wonder if they were able to adjust for phytate content in various FVLs.
without a closer look, the dairy piece is just counterintuitive to me. personally, i consume dairy daily but that's bc i like it on my oats or in tea/coffee - not because i think it's particularly good for me! #exvegan

A survey of current dietary habits within a large population of people with multiple sclerosis
http://www.neurology.org/content/88/16_ ... .002.short

ABSTRACT

Objective: To provide an overview of current dietary characteristics in people with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Background: Individuals with MS commonly ask healthcare providers whether dietary modifications could benefit their MS. However, very little is known about their current diet and whether diet composition differs across clinical characteristics.

Design/Methods: In 2015 the North American Research Committee on MS (NARCOMS) registry participants completed a short dietary screener questionnaire (DSQ), originally developed and used for the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). The DSQ is designed to provide a general assessment of diet composition when full dietary information is unavailable. We used it to obtain estimated intakes of fruits, vegetables and legumes (FVL), dairy/calcium, added sugars, whole grains/fiber, red meat, and processed meat. We compared the responses across demographic and clinical characteristics.

Results: The 7418 (68%) responders consumed a predicted daily mean of 2.5 (SD: 1.0) cups of FVL, 733.1 (285.7) mg of calcium from foods, 15.5 (7.5) g of dietary fiber, 1.2 (0.6) cups of dairy, 9.5 (6.0) tsp added sugar, and 0.5 (0.5) servings red/processed meat. Individuals with higher intakes of FVL tended to be of Caucasian ethnicity (age, gender-difference in means=−0.10 cups/day; P=0.04) and were less likely to be overweight (age, gender-difference in means=−0.14 cups/day; P<0.001). Individuals with progressive MS (vs. relapsing-remitting) tended to consume more FVL (age, gender-difference in means = 0.06 cups/day; P=0.03) and fewer dairy foods (difference in means=−0.05 cups/day; P=0.006). [b]Lower intake of dairy foods was also associated with more severe disability (age, gender-adjusted difference in means=−0.07 vs. no disability; P=0.001).[/b] Other dietary components did not differ with respect to disease subtype or disability.

Conclusions: This large cross-sectional survey suggests that diet composition in people with MS may vary by clinical and disease characteristics. Prospective studies are needed to assess how specific dietary components may affect MS symptoms and general health.
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Return to Diet