The Harvard Healthy Eating Plate & Healthy Eating Pyramid

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

The Harvard Healthy Eating Plate & Healthy Eating Pyramid

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Healthy Eating Plate & Healthy Eating Pyramid
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions ... ing-plate/

"The Healthy Eating Plate, created by nutrition experts at Harvard School of Public Health and editors at Harvard Health Publications, was designed to address deficiencies in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s MyPlate. The Healthy Eating Plate provides detailed guidance, in a simple format, to help people make the best eating choices...

"Use The Healthy Eating Plate as a guide for creating healthy, balanced meals—whether served on a plate or packed in a lunch box. Put a copy on the refrigerator as a daily reminder to create healthy, balanced meals!...

"The main message of the Healthy Eating Plate is to focus on diet quality..."

and i would have pasted an image of the plate here if i had time to make it appear in a reasonable size - but i don't, so ppl will just have to click through!
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Re: The Harvard Healthy Eating Plate & Healthy Eating Pyrami

Postby ElliotB » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 am

Interesting, but this doesn't look or reflect much different information from the old 'food pyramid' of years ago.

Frankly, based on readily available information from recent research (over the past few years), how we think about food needs to change a bit to reflect recent research and discoveries. There is so much NEW information about food and nutrition that is not accounted for in their recommendations.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:00 pm

it does, but is in general dumbed down for public consumption. not targeting the avid readers and won't incorporate findings from small single studies i shouldnt think.

i went to a related community event and asked the panelists a 'me' level question. response: 'that sounds like a great phd research topic'. not the first time i've been told that, for an array of different subject matter. starting to think i will just bite my tongue on the 'panel stumper' type questions...
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby NHE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:48 am

jimmylegs wrote:and i would have pasted an image of the plate here if i had time to make it appear in a reasonable size - but i don't, so ppl will just have to click through!

Check this post's code to see the new [imgresize=] BBCode tag usage. Also check the FAQ.

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Diet