Palaeolithic Diet.

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Gonzo
Getting to Know You...

Palaeolithic Diet.

Post by Gonzo »

Hi I'm a Newbie to the forum. I had a read through an earlier post by Crispy, a lot of good stuff in it but it is getting a little verbose and the last post to it was in July so I thought I'd start a new thread rather than append that one.

I have been dx RRMS for over 10 years and I have not made any dietary change in that time until recently. I am in relaps at the moment and have few symptoms EXCEPT awful trouble with my stomach and bowel. Pains, bloatedness, flatulence, constipation, bowel urgency, you name it I've probably had it.

I assumed that if it was a direct MS symptom it would pass in time, most of my symptoms come and go to suit themselves, but this one has been with me on and off for the last two years.

I have been reading a bit about diet and decided to give it a go. I will find it difficult. I like my food! But I thought the Palaeolithic Diet sounded promising as the thinking behind seemed logical. It is, as far as I can gather, very similar to the Swank diet.

I have only just started it but I am cutting out dairy products and gluten, specifically wheat, and cutting down drastically on red meat, tea and coffee.

I do not wish to take supplements so I need to continue my research to discover what foods will provide the necessary nutrients

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, and I shall keep you informed of any progress. Any questions I shall endeavour to answer.

I shall probably start a running diary of this on my web site, see below.

:wink:
My Site http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk
Multiple Sclerosis - A Personal Account
JFH
Family Elder

Re: Palaeolithic Diet.

Post by JFH »

Gonzo wrote:I do not wish to take supplements so I need to continue my research to discover what foods will provide the necessary nutrients
Prof Jelinek (no URL) has some interesting things to say about dietary supplements, particularly Vit D from sunshine! I recommend his book as part of your research.
John
I am what I am
Gonzo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Gonzo »

Thanks John,

I shall look into this.
Daunted
Family Elder

Post by Daunted »

I'm doing the paleo diet which is difficult at first but then quite easy, at least for me.

I wonder why you would want to avoid supplements? You can get enough Vitamin D3, so important in MS, by getting lots of sun, but I take 4,000 mg a day and that ensures that I get enough. Also unless you are going to eat fish every single day, fish oil is a must- as are b12 and many others, at least in my book. Alpha-Lipoic Acid and Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR) are also helpful, in my opinion.

The Direct-MS Website has good recommendations on supplements.

Just thought I'd pass on that opinion.
Gonzo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Gonzo »

I'm wary of supplements as I was on a number of vitamin supplements before my digestive troubles began, so I was immediately suspicious of the supplements being the problem.

I am taking what I guess is a supplement, just noy pills, in Superfood available from

http://www.herbshandshealing.co.uk

which claims to provide the majority of vitamins and minerals, but probably not iron.

I'll give it a go and see how we fare.
Nick
Family Elder

Re: Palaeolithic Diet.

Post by Nick »

Gonzo wrote:

I have been reading a bit about diet and decided to give it a go. I will find it difficult. I like my food! But I thought the Palaeolithic Diet sounded promising as the thinking behind seemed logical. It is, as far as I can gather, very similar to the Swank diet.

I have only just started it but I am cutting out dairy products and gluten, specifically wheat, and cutting down drastically on red meat, tea and coffee.
Gonzo

The P-diet and Swank share similarities yet are intrinsically different. Swank concentrates only on fats while the P-diet also considers fats in addition to avoiding causal food proteins and neuro protective vitamin D3.

Essentially the Swank regimen is a subset of the P-diet. If you follow Swank only you are not necessarily following a P-diet but if you observe a P-diet you will be honoring the Swank protocol.

As far as red meat goes there are intrinsic differences between the fat content of grain fattened beef, grass fed only beef and wild game such as elk, deer, moose, etc. Cordain et al have done such an analysis here.

Cheers
Nick