Diet ? - What colour

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

Postby crispy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:30 pm

Hi september1968, :D

If I understand your point correctly, it looks like pointing us back at the general healthy eating idea.

Thanks,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Advertisement

Diet

Postby september1968 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:52 am

Crispy,
After reading your post, I gained a renew spirit in sticking to the Swank Diet. :lol: So, I went on the chat room to find recipes for something that tastes chocolately and sweet. Well, this link may be a some interest to you.

Apparently, there HAVE been some studies. And, I found a recipe for chocolate cake.
:D
http://swankmsdiet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB ... 1032734135
september1968

Postby crispy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:21 am

Hi again september1968, :D

What a lot of useful information, I'm sure many will benefit from that, thank you.

I have only had a quick look through so far, but all the tests seem on first read to have been done using RRMS patients. I guess that leaves me out 8O

All the best and thanks again,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Postby dawny » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:49 am

Crispy, You are right if it is here I will eat so I buy it once in awhile. :D
dawny
Family Member

LDN

Postby september1968 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:00 pm

Crispy,
Check this thread out on LDN prescritions..maybe could help you.

http://www.voy.com/156761/441.html
september1968

Postby crispy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:49 pm

Hi again dawny, :D

I don't think there's anything to say there, I know that I for one am very weak where the wrong foods are concerned :oops:

Take good care,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Postby crispy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:03 pm

Hi again september1968, :D

Many thanks for the link Re LDN - I have seen that one before, but as the doc is in America and I'm in England, I think the phone consultation may be a bit over the top. :?

Where are you based? - I checked to see if you had a Profile entered but couldn't find one for you.

Keep on with the diet, :)
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Postby BrendaH » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:23 am

Chris,

I live in France, across the Channel from you! Not sure how the health system over there works, but here the tests were covered by the Social Security since they were prescribed by a doctor. Could you ask your GP to have you tested?

Going to my profile right now to update it :wink:

Cheers,
Brenda
Brenda H.
Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention. -Greg Anderson
BrendaH
Family Member

Postby crispy » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:21 am

Thanks Brenda, :D

I'll have to ask if it's available here - that's if he is still talking to me after our LDN discussion :lol:

All the best,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Crispy as in "crisps" (that's potato chips in the

Postby May » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:57 pm

Hi Crispy. There have been clinical studies/trials/followup about the Swank diet showing signs of therapeutic improvements. Don't have links handy but could dig 'em up. :)
Last edited by May on Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
May
Getting to Know You...

Postby BrendaH » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:23 am

I haven't spoken to my neuro about LDN, (and I don't have a GP since I am never sick :roll: ) but I know he's going to say it's not a proven therapeutic medication and he thinks it's useless. When I spoke about my diet, he practically rolled his eyes. Very traditional, needless to say!

A little more support from neuros for alternative methods would be nice, wouldn't it? :x

Brenda
Brenda H.
Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention. -Greg Anderson
BrendaH
Family Member

Re: Crispy as in "crisps" (that's potato chips in

Postby crispy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:14 am

May wrote::wink: Hi Crispy. There have been clinical studies/trials/followup about the Swank diet showing signs of therapeutic improvements. Don't have links handy but could dig 'em up.

Hi again May, :D

September1968 came up with some good links above in this thread, but thanks for offering. I think I've just about convinced myself that the Swank diet is not for me.

Have a good week,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Postby crispy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:20 am

BrendaH wrote:A little more support from neuros for alternative methods would be nice, wouldn't it? :x

Hi again Brenda, :D

I don't think many would disagree with you on that one, but what can anyone do to convince them :?:

All the best,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Postby perseus » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:34 pm

Hi Crispy,
Thanks for the welcome message posted the other day :) .

I bought the Swank diet book last year but I find that I do not have the time it takes to cook all those recipes. I have started searching the internet for the best foods to eat and found some websites that reference actual studies published in journals - but I have not found many :( . I have included those that I have found below.

Lowering the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio and increasing vitaminD, intake while keeping saturated fat intake low, is what appeals to me but it is an individual choice. I keep my neurologist in the loop about my diet changes but he does not recommend any of them (because there are no studies!).

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/lis ... ticles.ssi
http://www.ms-library.org/
http://www.direct-ms.org/articles/

I have not tried these recipes but they seem to follow an "anti-inflammatory" diet.
http://www.rwood.com/index.htm

I hope that this is helpful. If you have better luck finding good websites about diet & MS, I would be interested in knowing about them.

perseus
perseus

Postby crispy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:03 am

Hi again perseus, :D

Thanks for the diet links, I'm sure that many will find them useful.

You may have gathered from other replies on this thread that I'm not personally convinced that any particular diet would benefit me, but that's just me. I'm still in the belief that 'a little of what you fancy does you good'.

Like any other treatment of MS, it is so difficult to prove one way or another, with so many different forms of the disease - who is to say that a RRMS patient wouldn't have gone through a better period without any given diet. Anyone who has strong views on the subject, please join in, we'd love to hear about it.

All the best,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

PreviousNext

Return to Diet