Diet ? - What colour

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
crispy
Family Member

Diet ? - What colour

Post by crispy »

Hi all, :D

After more than 11 years with MS, no-one in the medical profession has ever mentioned that I should change any part of my diet, so I'm a bit confused.

Since surfing around the various web-sites that deal with MS, I have come across all the different diets that people seem to be following and I've checked them out. I'm probably a fussy eater, or just stuck in my ways, but I could no sooner follow any of those diets than I could walk to Scotland from home in the South-West of England.

I have seen people claiming that certain diets have helped them - but is there any proof anywhere?

Knowing the factors behind MS, I find it hard to understand how any of these diets can actually make a difference.

At this point I should add that I am beyond help, 8O because I certainly don't want to influence the younger ones amongst us, but I'd really like to know of any clinical studies done using these diets.

My main reason for asking is due to the almost impossible job of getting my doctor to prescribe LDN (due to lack of clinical trials).

All the best,
Chris P
WannaBe

Post by WannaBe »

:) Hi!
You stated...My main reason for asking is due to the almost impossible job of getting my doctor to prescribe LDN (due to lack of clinical trials).

I recall I read about a Dr Lawrence in your "neck-of-the-woods" that has MS and is doing the LDN. You might have heard about him, but here is the link click below... Hope this is helpful.
[color=blue][u]http://www.sbpost.ie/web ... reland.asp[/u][/color][/url]
Tell me and I will forget.
Show me and I will remember.
Involve me and I will understand.
crispy
Family Member

Post by crispy »

Hi WannaBe, :D

Thanks for the info but I've already contacted Dr Bob - He is too busy at the moment to take on any new patients, but he sent a lot of useful info through. I just have the task of convincing my GP now - I'm currently on the third attempt :cry:

All the best,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Post by crispy »

Hi again all, :D

I'm wondering what conclusion I should come to here. Is no-one here on an MS diet :?: - Is there no clinical proof that any of them work :?: - Is it just that nobody wants to talk to me :?:

This could really be such a wonderful forum - the format is brilliant - the members are friendly, if a little shy :oops:

Come on guys, join in the fun :D

All the best,
Chris P
mswp
Getting to Know You...

Some sort of answer......

Post by mswp »

better than no answer I guess.. ??

Hi Crispy ! :) *g'day*

First thing: DX RRMS, 1998 DX PPMS 2000

Full time wheelchair need inside 2 yrs.
Retired on disability, etc etc....

Whilst I am not on any special diet, I can tell you this.....

George Jelinik (it is spelled incorrectly, and for the life of me cannot remember how it is ..... ??) has a diet and book that is quite the rage in my area (Australia).....

I have not tried it, been too busy dealing with changes to my life..... but I hear good things from some.....

If you don't know of it and would like to, let me know and I will get the appropriate link for you. (Just respond here....)

*in case is it of use*
Regards,

Peter Anderson
http://www.mswebpeople.com/
MS WEB PEOPLE

Melbourne Australia.
mswp
Getting to Know You...

Found it!

Post by mswp »

Regards,

Peter Anderson
MS WEB PEOPLE

Melbourne Australia.
crispy
Family Member

Post by crispy »

Hi Peter, :D

Thanks for the diet link, I'll check it out.

What I'm really trying to find out, apart from trying to stimulate interest :wink:, is whether any clinical trials have been done on the different dietry advice that's given.

Thanks for taking the time, all the best,
Chris P
mswp
Getting to Know You...

Re: Trials.....

Post by mswp »

OK, none that I am aware of (or remember.....) :) Cheers
Regards,

Peter Anderson
MS WEB PEOPLE

Melbourne Australia.
dawny
Family Member

Post by dawny »

Crispy, I have not read alot about diets and ms. The one I did their was no way I could stick to it. The first doc. I talk to told me diet had nothing to do with it and he would tell me and a person without ms the samething. To eat healthy. Which I try to do, but with kids they love the junk so have to buy it once in awhile.
crispy
Family Member

Post by crispy »

Hi dawny, :D

Thanks for your contribution, I think my original doc told me the same thing.

Unfortunately, it's not just the kids who like the junk food - I'm a real addict :oops:

All the best,
Chris P
BrendaH
Family Member

Post by BrendaH »

Hi Chris!

My alternative doctor tested me, as soon as I was diagnosed, for gluten and dairy intolerance. Although I didn't know it, I have a 'high' intolerance to gluten and 'moderate' intolerance to dairy. I quit these 2 for the past 5 years, and feel much better digestive-wise, if you know what I mean. :oops: He also had me quit stuff that is hard on the immune system like tomatoes and corn.

The theory is that anything that is difficult for the body to assimilate can trigger an immune reaction.

I don't think there's any proof or studies that have been done, but I feel like at least this is something I can control and do for myself that may have an effect. I'm also on Copaxone now, and have done Avonex and Rebif.

There really is a lot of good alternatives out there in the health food stores and I don't miss bread and butter too much anymore. And, there is lots of junk food I can still eat! :twisted:

Just my experience and 2 cents worth!
Brenda
Brenda H.
Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention. -Greg Anderson
fightingms
Family Member

Post by fightingms »

Crispy........try this link, there is allot of infom on MS and diet here........Good luck to you........Kim

http://www.direct-ms.org/
crispy
Family Member

Post by crispy »

Hi Brenda, :D

Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I've read before about testing for the intolerences, but I've never been offered anything like this. I wondered if it was down to where one lives and went to check your profile, but alas, nothing entered for location :(

I'm in the UK by the way.

All the best,
Chris P
crispy
Family Member

Post by crispy »

Hi fightingms, :D

Thanks for the link - I don't think I've come across that one before, so there's plenty of reading to do. 8O

All the best,
Chris P
september1968

Diet

Post by september1968 »

Crispy,
I, too, don't know of any studies. But, what I find extemely interesting is the drug that some are using in treating MS (cholosterol reducing) is the same principal as the Swank diet.