Jelinek diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Ernst
Family Elder

Post by Ernst »

Lets just say that I began to think (like Terry Wahls) MS as Mitochondrial dysfunction and way to treat disease is helping your Mitochondria. This was the biggest idea I got from her. She also recommended very old book "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration", very very old book but gives something to think.

But ideas and info are in her pages, check them out. Her story is quite fantastic.
Ernst
Family Elder

Post by Ernst »

Got to ask.. but I'm still waiting to read "best-bet-diet"-research papers. Don't know that if its already published? The abstract was, but the research..? Is it still analyzed by researches?

ps. oops.. wrong place. This comment should be in "best-bet-diet" threat..
pgy
Family Member

Post by pgy »

Prof Jelinek has a new book out. It is the best coverage of MS including all the research and drugs etc I have seen.

http://www.takingcontrolofmultiplesclerosis.org/
ShootingStar
Family Member

Jelinek's book arrives in the US on 01 Sep 2010

Post by ShootingStar »

On Amazon. Available for pre-order.
Andie
Family Member

book

Post by Andie »

Hi

is this an ms book?
Andie
Family Member

oops

Post by Andie »

sorry- i figured it out
Okasan
Getting to Know You...

Jelinek diet is not that bad!

Post by Okasan »

So far whilst on the Jelinek diet I feel fantastic, it's not that limited. His new book is a good read and more balanced than the first which was written 3 months after his initial diagnosis.
You may eat as much white fish as you want, and as someone else mentioned get some good oils from other things such as olive oil and seafood etc. I was worried that I would have a quickly complaining partner but thankfully he is enjoying the diet also.
As to weight loss, I was initially worried as I had been losing weight, but I think it was associated with grief, and losing my sense of taste for a month. Since regaining my sense of taste it seems my weight has stabilised. Also my partner, had initially a slight weight drop but now has stabilised.
The only thing I really miss are eggs, you can still have egg whites but I haven't bothered. I do now have some great olive oil, gluten free, honey cookie recipes!
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

I have been restricting my diet for months (no gluten/dairy/legumes), now switching over to Jelinek diet (several weeks). I'm wondering if anyone else has been taking the 20 caps daily of fish oil and if it seems to have helped them.
Abe
Family Member

Post by Abe »

Hi Laura,

I 'do' 7 caps fish oil and 2 table spoons of flax.

Initially I did 21 caps of fish oil but after 6 months I decided take 2 parts flax seed oil to 1 part fish oil to reduce risk of mercury poisoning.

The only trouble with flax it that is it not absorbed into our bodies as well as fish oil.

Abe
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

Hi Abe, Many fish oil caps (at least those I've seen) say "molecularly distilled" to filter out mercury. Does that not do a good job? I thought we were safe because of it.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: fish oil and mercury

Post by NHE »

laura383 wrote:Hi Abe, Many fish oil caps (at least those I've seen) say "molecularly distilled" to filter out mercury. Does that not do a good job? I thought we were safe because of it.
There was an article in the Consumer Reports magazine that tested about a half dozen or so of the major brands of fish oil. All were found to be within safe limits. Perhaps I can dig up this reference later, but you should be able to find it through their website and then get it from your local library.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm

NHE
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Abe wrote:I 'do' 7 caps fish oil and 2 table spoons of flax.
Abe
Holy crap (or should that be holy carp?)! :D Both of those would probably kill me! Sorry, but I have well-deserved phobias to both meds & supplements and I can't help posting occasional cautions, because even though I'm pretty weird (I prefer the term "special & unique") I can't be the only one who has the potential for nasty reactions to things I swallow - especially Omega 3s. :)

I posted about my esophageal spasms from fish oil here: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-8804.html

I posted about the throbbing nerve pain in my fingers from flax seed oil here: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-15912.html

Shellfish has left me writhing on the bathroom floor more than once and also sent me to the emergency room. Walnuts make me sputter and wheeze. No matter how good for you these foods & supplements sound on paper, each of us will react to them on an individual basis.

I've been keeping daily charts (NOT journals) for years of all my symptoms/meds/supplements/foods and reactions, so I can search back quickly to identify the day a problem started. And the day it ended.

Interestingly (and perhaps coincidentally), I felt even better before I found out I had MS 8 years ago and started experimenting with all the specific supplements and diet suggestions "proven" by studies instead of going with my instincts.

I swear that my healthy diet/exercise routines have been a big part of keeping me relatively healthy & mobile after 38 years of MS, and that's why I pop into the Diet Forum now and then. But I've never found one that sounds like it's precisely designed for my body's eccentricities.

Still, I certainly encourage PwMS to add a good diet as part of their MS treatment. Wishing good eating, good spirits, and good health to all. :)
-
-
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

euphoiaa, Good going for being so in touch! 38 years is impressive. I'm at 14 years and it was usually in remission, so I"m only now coming to grips with it.
thanks NHE for the link
Abe, I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
Abe
Family Member

Post by Abe »

laura383 wrote:I have been restricting my diet for months (no gluten/dairy/legumes), now switching over to Jelinek diet (several weeks). I'm wondering if anyone else has been taking the 20 caps daily of fish oil and if it seems to have helped them.
The manufactures / Consumer Reports magazine are not monitoring for people who would benefit from 21 grams of fish oil a day. Typically they expecting you to take 2 - 4 caps a day.

Therefore I currently choose to take both fish oil and flax. Ideally I would go with 21 grams of fish oil because it is much more readily available to the body than flax seed oil. However I'm currently not prepared to run the risk with the mercury until I am better informed.

If anyone has conclusive evidence that 21 grams of fish oil a day for life is safe let me know!

I'm on these:

http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Factors-Rx ... /4251?at=0
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Here's an older study that looked at the effects of oemga-3 fatty acids on inflammatory cytokine secretion. The patients in this study were taking 6 g/day of a concentrated prescription omega-3 supplement that contained 86% EPA+DHA for a total dose of 5.16g/day of EPA+DHA omega-3 fatty acids.

Cytokine secretion and eicosanoid production in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of MS patients undergoing dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Neuroimmunol. 1995 Feb;56(2):143-53.

To get the same level of omega-3/day with the Natural Factors brand that you're using, you would need to take 9 capsules per day at a cost of $1.12/day. The total dose of EPA+DHA would be 5.4g/day.

NHE