Best Bet Diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

You can start the BBD (or ms recovery diet) in stages. My wife eliminated dairy for two weeks, then gluten and legumes. She also had a good diet, but with lots of pasta and cheese! After a while the diet is not that difficult. There is a very good rice pasta (Tinkyada), reasonably ok rice breads, but no good cheese substitute - they all have either casein or legumes in them. We eat lots of fish, chicken, veggies, rice, and sometimes potatoes. An easy and filling dinner can be chicken sausage with a baked sweet potato and another veggie. Nuts, sesame bars, and rice yogurt make good, filling snacks. I would think that this diet would also help your IBS. I had IBS for a few years and cleared it up with acupuncture and no dairy. My acupuncturist told me that pasta and cheese are about the worst thing you can eat with IBS.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Help with the Best Bet Diet please

Post by NHE »

Hi Julia,
Julia wrote:I have had IBS for 8 years
Have you looked into enteric coated peppermint oil capsules? I was at a presentation by Dr. Michael Murray, a naturapath, and he mentioned that these were good for IBS.

NHE
SandyK
Family Elder

Post by SandyK »

Hi Julia. I have been doing the diet for only a month. I did go for it and changed all of it. I was starving until I started shopping. I bought salmon, chicken, rice, and corn chips as my staples. Now I have fresh veggies and fruit as often as I can get good stuff. I was eating vegetarian before because my 18 year old is. There are some good rice noodles and you can eat goat cheese or yogurt with goat milk. Some of it gets pricey but it's doable. Good luck!
Julia
Getting to Know You...

Post by Julia »

Have you looked into enteric coated peppermint oil capsules? I was at a presentation by Dr. Michael Murray, a naturapath, and he mentioned that these were good for IBS
I have not looked into this, I will probably modify my diet first and see if it I see a difference. But thank you for the information.
There are some good rice noodles and you can eat goat cheese or yogurt with goat milk.
I am confused, I thought all forms of dairy are out. The CSA Farm (Community Supported Agriculture) I joined has goat products, but I thought that was not allowed?

Does anyone ever treat themselves (anniversaries, birthday, thanksgiving, etc) or is this a diet that you cannot EVER stray from?
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

True that goats milk is more digestible than cow's milk, but I believe that ALL dairy is off limits with the BBD.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Help with Best Bet Diet please

Post by NHE »

Julia wrote:
Have you looked into enteric coated peppermint oil capsules? I was at a presentation by Dr. Michael Murray, a naturapath, and he mentioned that these were good for IBS
I have not looked into this, I will probably modify my diet first and see if it I see a difference. But thank you for the information.
Here is what Dr. Murray has to say about IBS.

The Mayo Clinic's page on IBS also mentions enteric coated peppermint.
Herbs. Peppermint is a natural antispasmodic that relaxes smooth muscles in the intestines. Peppermint may provide short-term relief of IBS symptoms, but study results have been inconsistent. If you'd like to try peppermint, be sure to use enteric-coated capsules. Peppermint may aggravate heartburn. Before taking any herbs, check with your doctor to be sure they won't interact or interfere with other medications you may be taking.
NHE
Ernst
Family Elder

Post by Ernst »

Hello all! Im still waiting for best-bet-diet trial research published. So, is it still in process / not ready? Does anybody know?
My wife's 3 yrs post video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLeqLps8XR8

Our family: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_QCKxeQAlg
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

It is completely possible to eat foods that aren't great for you, while staying within the BBD guidelines...I just substitute gluten free flour for regular flour (In the UK Dove's is good, but in the US, the only one I saw was at Trader Joe's and it was terrible-better off mixing rice flour with arrowroot, and maybe some buckwheat...). I use rice milk instead of milk, and olive oil instead of butter. This works very well for cakes, muffins, pancakes...I've even made dumplings. True it is different, but sometimes you like it better.
You shouldn't have these treats so often, though, because I think the sugar is bad for you. My husband and I just haven't been able to give it up yet.
Why
ndwannabe
Family Elder

Post by ndwannabe »

I found that the best way (for me) to stay within the guidelines of BBB diet is to go Paleo

Basically eat what our great great ancestors ate.

I do not try my hardest to substitute, I just do without. I don't like cooking much, so it is easiest for me to go raw.

When I feel like I am in need of something "mainstream" I do, however use substitutions

To answer the question, my staples are (on my weekly grocery shopping list)

- Several pounds of organic fruit

- Several pound of organic vegetables

- Fish (I try to eat fish every day)

- Lean chicken

- Eggs

- Nuts and seeds (raw)

Most of my cooking is just grilling or baking with salt and spices. Lots of foods I eat raw.

If / when I want to substitute/indulge:

Trader Joe's Light Coconut Milk (comparable amount of fat to Milk fat, but healthier type of fat)

Millet, buckwheat and rice flour (I pretty much substitute straight when the recipe calls for wheat flour)

Dark chocolate (no milk or milk fat)

*** Exception to the rule I allow myself - one cup of coffee in the morning. My "reasoning" - coffee is not a food, it's a supplement :lol:
Rebecca
Family Member

Post by Rebecca »

Interesting thing that so many mention IBS. I have had a problem with that for years. On my way to getting rid of constant diarrhea and loose stools, I gave up dairy, gluten and chicken. It is interesting that it was only when I gave up chicken, that the diarrhea and loose stools finally went away.

I wonder if others have a problem with chicken?
ndwannabe
Family Elder

Post by ndwannabe »

Rebecca wrote:
I wonder if others have a problem with chicken?
I am wondering what "kind" of chicken did you eat. Was it free-range properly omega-balanced poultry? Or was it corn-fed, raised in the chicken farm squashed to each other, then packaged with flavoring solutions added to the meat.
Today's meat chickens have been genetically altered to grow twice as fast, and twice as large as their ancestors. Pushed beyond their biological limits, hundreds of millions of chickens die every year before reaching slaughter weight at 6 weeks of age
form http://www.mercyforanimals.org/poultry.asp

On the other hand, the allergic reactions differ from person to person. I, for example, did the skin test and was deemed allergic to pork (!)

:lol:
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

We use Quinoa flour. It is gluten free. We don't make bread but we do make pancakes and tortillas. Also brown rice flour is gluten free, we use that too.
zinamaria
Family Elder

Post by zinamaria »

buckwheat flour too, also amaranth flour and millet flour are great to mix with rice flour for a quick pancake or tortilla or pizza type food..also for baby and mother, millet flour stirred into some boiling water, like oatmeal, makes a quick and delicious porridge, very fast, no prep, just add a bit of cinnamon and your choice of sweetener and you're done. no gluten either in all the above. quinoa whole grain takes only 15 min to make too, like couscous or rice, but loaded with protein and very tasty...good luck!

zina
NotFound
Family Elder

Post by NotFound »

I am with Dave.

I don't go out of my way to cook and prepare. Trying to mimic "standard" foods and inventing all kinds of substitutes drains me.

If I am hungry, there are always raw veggies and raw fruits around the house.

If I am VERY hungry - I throw a whole potato in the microwave. When ready use some olive oil + some salt.

For protein - I know canned is not the best solution, but - canned salmon, canned tuna, etc.,

Buy skinless chicken and boil - you'll have broth and the supply of protein.

If you must have bread - many stores have Rice bread, I am never able to finish the loaf though.
RedfernTO
Getting to Know You...

Post by RedfernTO »

Misc things I do. I'm a single parent with SP MS who is still working full time. Energy saving is a must.

- I found a store that has good gluten free bread (rice, buckwheat, quinoa). I wrap slices in wax paper and freeze most of the loaf.
- I have coconut milk ice cream if I want something cold.
- I use rice milk on cereal.
- Instead of store bought cookies I have rice crackers and fruit, some almonds, or a small piece of dark chocolate. (Cocoa beans are not a legume).
- I carry Lara bars (vegan and gluten and soy free) as emergency snacks and as a granola bar replacement.
- A must have - Mary's Rice Crackers. Crunchy and delicious. I just found the large boxes at Costco. I also found 3 lb bags of Quinoa.
- Do try Quinoa. It can be cooked in a rice cooker. Its very high in protein. We have it hot and cold. Even my picky eater daughter loves it.
- Stock up! If you need to go out of your way to find things...
- Some stores will give you a discount if you buy a case.