Best Bet Diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
hlm286
Family Elder

Best Bet Diet - Soy?

Post by hlm286 »

Ok, I try to follow the Swank recommendations of low saturated fats, and I try to follow the BBD recommendations and eliminate dairy and try to keep my intake of wheat lower, i'm just finding it hard to get a lot of protien into my diet (I eat a lot of chicken and fish, but its expensive and not a very "quick" meal). I've bought Yves Veggie burgers that are made of soy and a good source of protien, but I dont know if soy is bad or not? Also, I think I have an allergy to milk and I think my daughter may have it too so I was thinking of switching her to soy milk but i dont want to give her something thats bad for her. I drink almond or rice milk but it doesnt have the protien which she needs as a growing toddler.

Any advice please???
hwebb
Family Elder

plant-protein ideas

Post by hwebb »

I'm no expert on the BBD, but do know about the Swank diet.

Some good plant-sources of protein include chickpeas, quinoa, and all kinds of beans/lentils. Nuts also have lots of protein.

I personally like chickpea salads and bean salads (even baked beans is OK). You can buy (or easily make) roasted chickpeas, which are a tasty crunchy snack.

A couple of my favourite salads:
* warm chickpea, zucchini and tomato salad (you can add a middle-eastern combination of spices if you like extra flavour)
* broad beans with mustard
* four-bean salad (use any four you like, or try the canned variety)
Twentymiles
Getting to Know You...

Post by Twentymiles »

Soy is a legume and as such considered bad.

I've followed BBD since 2004 and did not eliminate legumes in the first year. Improvement only came after I got rid of the legumes.
Twentymiles
Getting to Know You...

Post by Twentymiles »

We have small children as well. My secret is my wife. She also follows the diet and as such we are only cooking adult and kid meals.
Twentymiles
Getting to Know You...

Post by Twentymiles »

Answering the original post. I have followed BBD since 2004. I also find I am eating lots of rice products. I also eat corn quite often

Besides those lots of fruit and vegetables. I seem to drink more tea etc. throughout the day to avoid cravings for all of the bad foods that seem to follow me around.
tara97
Family Elder

Post by tara97 »

thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm
as people who have lost mineral homeostasis I think this would apply to us too but I am not sure.
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

SOY has a DEEP DARK side and only fermented soy products are safe for MS folks.

jackD
mattalleng
Family Member

Post by mattalleng »

Just finished writing an article on my blog about the anti-inflammatory diet, that's what I'm about to try, I tried to organize all my research the best I could, I may continue to update this article as I experiment with the diet and after I talk to a dietitian but my article answers pretty much every question you asked, soy is good, dairy is bad, and avoid animal proteins and focus on veggie proteins, I listed examples, check it out:

http://mattsms.blogspot.com/2010/09/ant ... tiple.html
http://www.mattsms.com<br />
mattalleng
Family Member

Post by mattalleng »

Twentymiles wrote:Soy is a legume and as such considered bad.

I've followed BBD since 2004 and did not eliminate legumes in the first year. Improvement only came after I got rid of the legumes.
hi, could you possibly explain this to me really quick? I am interested, I read on several sources online, in books, and my doctor told me that soy products are really good for MS patients, just trying to get my information straight, I don't want to spread bad information on my blog, thanks!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

From what I've read, legumes are high in lectins, which are a form of protein that can cause problems with your immune system, and aggravate a leaky gut. Have you read Ashton Embry's research on direct-ms.org? Tons of info on diet and ccsvi.
mattalleng
Family Member

Post by mattalleng »

interesting, I definitely have to research that and make any changes to my blog article that may be necessary. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you were right, I rarely trust my doctors to know what they are talking about LOL I research everything they tell me because doctors are people too, they make mistakes, they are stubborn like anyone else, they are biased like anyone else, etc. so it's always good to learn the facts on your own, that knowledge is out there. So yeah, definitely going to research that more, thanks!
hlm286
Family Elder

BBD - snack ideas?

Post by hlm286 »

I follow the Swank recommedations but also try to incorporate BBD recommendations and avoid wheat, dairy and legumes. I find it very challenging to find things to snack on when you're just hungry for something quick, or for lunch-type meals. I'd like to hear what others on these diets eat for snacks or lunch. I find myself eating alot of rice crackers and rice cakes, but I don't want a rice overload haha.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

I've been trying hard to follow this diet and find myself eating baked potatoes most often for lunch......I'd sure love some other ideas too :)
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

I snack mostly on almonds and/or raisins, toasted sunflower seeds, rice crackers, apples, bananas, and oranges. I like to spread sunbutter on rice crackers, and to eat almond butter with apple slices.

For lunch, I usually boil up a bunch of greens (kale, collard, or turnip greens), or eat left-overs from the night before.

Also, I've tried to reduce my consumption of refined sugars over the years, and it's amazing how satisfying brown rice has become, especially sprinkled with toasted sunflower seeds and a little balsamic vinegar.

The irony with this diet for me is that it's almost impossible to gain weight. I'm still trying to regain the weight I lost when I had the CCSVI treatment back in 09/09. Oh well, trade-offs...
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Here are some things my wife snacks on:

sesame seed bars or peanut free nut bars
(kinda like peanut brittle, they can really fill you up)
you can often get these in bulk at some supermarkets
salsa and corn chips
avacado
fruit
gluten free cereal with rice milk
carrots
rice cakes with almond butter
nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistacios, etc)
sorbet or rice dream ice cream (VERY delicious)