Novartis Gilenya MS Pill to Cost $48,000 a Year

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
dreddk
Family Elder

Novartis Gilenya MS Pill to Cost $48,000 a Year

Post by dreddk »

8O ..

Novartis AG’s multiple sclerosis pill Gilenya will cost $4,000 a month in the U.S., according to a company spokesman.

Novartis has set a wholesale price at about $48,000 annually, Eric Althoff, a spokesman for the Basel, Switzerland- based company, said by e-mail. The company has programs to help patients with the cost of the drug, he said.

Gilenya, the first multiple sclerosis pill on the U.S. market, will be more expensive than injectable competitors such as Biogen Idec Inc.’s Avonex, Merck KGaA’s Rebif and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.’s Copaxone, which cost between about $2,800 and $3,200, for a standard month’s supply, according to the Web site destinationrx.com.

“Gilenya pricing is based on the value it will deliver patients, the scientific innovation it represents and our investment in studies to support the product,” Althoff said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Gilenya on Sept. 22.
DM
Family Elder

Post by DM »

Talk about taking advantage of those in need. Price the stuff out of control just because its easier to take than a needle. Wait til the next pill is approved and watch their prices drop, unless the shareholders demand bigger dividends.

So much for a company with a good conscious. Only in it for the buck. Not to help those with a disease.
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

I will not take any more med's whatsoever.
They can make money doing something else.
... $4000 a month ????!!!!!!!!!!!!
... the price is based on the value it delivers to the patients?!!!!
screw you Mr. Pharma-man !
take your new pill and %&*% it up your @$$.
Mirry
Family Member

Post by Mirry »

Vivianne766 wrote: take your new pill and %&*% it up your @$$.
:lol: you took the words right out of my mouth :lol:
Mirry
"Just another bump in the road"
scorpion
Family Elder

Re: Novartis Gilenya MS Pill to Cost $48,000 a Year

Post by scorpion »

dreddk wrote:8O ..

“Gilenya pricing is based on the value it will deliver patients, the scientific innovation it represents and our investment in studies to support the product,” Althoff said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Gilenya on Sept. 22.
What they really mean to say:

“Gilenya pricing is based keeping our shareholders happy, making sure our CEOS are well compensated, AND on the value it will deliver patients, the scientific innovation it represents and our investment in studies to support the product,” Althoff said.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreddk
Family Elder

Post by dreddk »

Lyon perhaps the nhs had the right idea even though they didn't execute it correctly. Subsidize on the basis that a trial on progression is run and if it doesnt halt progression, then drug co has to pay for the drugs

<shortened url>
Sawdoggie
Family Member

Post by Sawdoggie »

The reason that they will charge so much for this is that a) government programs will pay it versus having a backlash; b) private insurance companies will do the same; c) the NMMS is spineless in objecting to this on our behalf and instead focuses on the "generous patient assistance" programs of big pharma. The MS phrama sector needs to be profitable or there would be no new investment but how is what they are doing any different than a hardware store owner doubling the price of plywood right before a hurricane hits? There are limited options and we have storms in our heads; does this give them a right to price gouge? Maybe come up up with a formula that allows for good profitability that looks at research costs and calculates a reasonable and attractive ROI in exchange for longer patent protection. Since I was diagnosed I feel like the winning lottery ticket for someone else.

The reality is, as long as they can get the money from insurance and government, they will charge as much as they can (much like as long as banks were lending the money, home prices kept rising). We do pay for it through taxes and insurance premiums. I am a small business owner and my company's premiums just went up 46% which is due in a large part (the ins co denies it) to my diagnosis and the ridiculous costs in treating it. Go over to cafepharama.com and see what the drug reps are saying. To them we are no more than bonus potential. Think about it, if this drug captures a 10% market share in the US alone, that has the potential of over $1.9 billion annually not counting the rest of the world. What were the actual development costs? I would bet $2b a year might almost buy us a cure in a relatively short period. Novartis can go f*** themselves. They would charge a dehydrated man $1,000 for a glass of water given the chance claiming the cost is proportional to the benefit.
RedPepper
Getting to Know You...

Post by RedPepper »

Lyon wrote:
dreddk wrote: “Gilenya pricing is based on the value it will deliver patients, the scientific innovation it represents and our investment in studies to support the product,”

Althoff said.
I wonder if they'd be willing to agree to a complete money back guarantee at the first sign of continued progression......
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

F&*K Novartis!!!!!!! How dare them. That's highway robbery. I'm not surprised, but frankly, they come right out and say it. Really terrible.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bewitched
Family Member

Post by Bewitched »

I agree with all of you! #$% Novartis!

I quit all of the treatments. Why should I jeopardize my life, the rest of my health, safety and well-being on an empty hope that does more damage than good, destroys your body and make you incapacitated. Without all that crap I can live my life and work and laugh and read and do all the things I like instead of laying in bed in agony and pain and misery from all the crazy side-effects (this on top of the MS). Makes no sense to me.
marcinl0
Getting to Know You...

Post by marcinl0 »

Because the price of the Gilenya is still shocking [Gilenya (fingolimod) price $ 4,000 / month - 48 000 $ / year, apparently recently dropped by about 30%] I found interesting info from Polish MS forum, it is difficult to assess how valuable:

Cordyceps: breeding fungus from the Himalayas
http://naukadlazdrowia.pl/cordyceps-hod ... -himalajow

Source:
http://www.ldn.org.pl/fusion_forum/view ... d=774#4171
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Modern day robber barons

I also see that the other Pharmaceuticals have used this as an excuse to put up their prices.

One word - Oligopoly. Clearly in a functioning market the price of older drugs would fall due to competition but the drugs market is now so rigged it acts as it does.

:x
trrish
Getting to Know You...

Post by trrish »

I agree that the cost is out of control. That's the model we are dealing with. And, I've been on it for three years and it works (for me.) I greatly appreciate having insurance that covers it. Gilenya changed my life. I've had MS for 20+ years. In three years, I have not had a relapse that's lasted more than a day. Also, no more progression so far. For 25 years, I bitched about western medicine. They are onto something with Gilenya.