Has anyone here had BOTOX injections in the bladder ?

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.

Re: Has anyone here had BOTOX injections in the bladder ?

Postby lyndacarol » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Welcome to ThisIsMS, JanetF.

This was posted some time ago in this thread:

Botox for overactive bladder (urge incontinence) (Dr. Elizabeth Mueller, Chicago's Loyola University)

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-ozs- ... 4141122001 mention "for MS"@1:20
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby trrish » Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Janet, I am not self-cathing. I thought that's what was next, but instead signed up for this study and increased my usage of D-Mannose. I used to take D-Mannose powder in water when I thought I was getting a UTI but now use it proactively. The urologist I saw for the Botox specializes in MS patients. He really encouraged me with the D-Mannose. Every other doctor I've had gives me a blank stare when I mention it. I haven't had an infection or any accidents since the Botox. I don't know if the Botox would change the amount of times one has to cath, but I would think that could be the case for some.
trrish
Getting to Know You...

Postby questor » Thu May 08, 2014 6:26 pm

trrish wrote:I used to take D-Mannose powder in water when I thought I was getting a UTI but now use it proactively. The urologist I saw for the Botox specializes in MS patients. He really encouraged me with the D-Mannose.

I also take D-Mannose to help promote bladder health, about 1-tsp in water morning and evening. I learned the hard way not to overuse it. See the side-effects listed on the WebMD page:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... =D-MANNOSE
questor
Family Elder

Postby questor » Fri May 09, 2014 9:05 am

lyndacarol wrote:Welcome to ThisIsMS, JanetF.

This was posted some time ago in this thread:

Botox for overactive bladder (urge incontinence) (Dr. Elizabeth Mueller, Chicago's Loyola University)

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-ozs- ... 4141122001 mention "for MS"@1:20

This interview makes the procedure sound like it is for women only, which it is not. The FDA approval is for neurogenic bladder, which affects both men and women.

And, about the anesthesia question, for men the procedure is a little more difficult becomes the scope and instruments have to bypass the prostate. Because of this, each time I have had this procedure (twice now) it was in an outpatient hospital setting, and I was fully anesthetized.
Last edited by questor on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
questor
Family Elder

Postby Tash1217 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I've had MS for almost 20 years. I'm 40 now. Much get the bladder Botox and first hand know how it can change your life. It was the SMARTEST CHOICE IVE EVER MADE! It is amazing and helped me enjoy life again because I wasn't afraid that I'd have to pee all the time. Plus I could wear clothes that I want not the clothes that hide my pad!
Tash1217

Postby JanetF » Thu May 29, 2014 5:08 pm

I am having the procedure next week. The test they did on my bladder to see if I am a candidate for it was humiliating and unpleasant. For the procedure they're giving me an Ativan and a Norco.

My doctor said I'll have to cath every four hours. This is making me have third thoughts about it.

Since I started cathing only when I get up in the morning and before I go to bed, I have a few less accidents and have started wearing pants and leggings again, as they're not really convenient for cathing.
I was looking forward to having NO accidents. Not having to carry a supply of pads, using up a bunch of suitcase space on diapers. Not having to wear diapers!
The reason I wanted the botox is so I can do things like go worry-free to museums, concerts, barbecues, parties, ball games, road trips, camping, hiking, gardening, just walking to the damn store, you know, having a life. If I have to take off everything below the waist and find a relatively clean and private place to do the cath thing every four hours, that sort of makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Thoughts?
JanetF

Previous

Return to Drug Pipeline