BHT-3009 Phase II trial begins dosing

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
Dunmann
Family Elder

BHT-3009 Phase II trial begins dosing

Post by Dunmann »

Bayhill doses patients with multiple sclerosis in phase II trial, raises $15.8M

Science Letter - May. 12, 2006

Bayhill Therapeutics, Inc., has begun dosing patients with BHT-3009, the company's experimental drug candidate, in a phase II company sponsored trial for multiple sclerosis.

The phase II study is a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation with an MRI endpoint. In a related development, current investors indicated strong support for Bayhill's antigen-specific tolerance platform by raising an additional $15.8 million in private equity. The company has now closed its Series B round totaling $51.2 million.

In a phase I/II trial evaluating BHT-3009 in patients with multiple sclerosis, we observed a good safety profile, and, in a small number of patients, evidence of a long-lasting antigen-specific immuno-suppression effect, said Mark W. Schwartz, PhD, president and CEO, Bayhill Therapeutics.

Acknowledging success of BHT-3009, the first drug candidate from Bayhill's antigen-specific platform, current investors paid additional funds into Bayhill to advance its second antigen-specific drug candidate, BHT-3021 for Type 1 diabetes, into phase I/II human clinical trials.

& quot;Additionally, the Bayhill board of directors has appointed David Thompson to the board. David is a 35 year Eli Lilly business development veteran who is providing strategic insights to the Bayhill management team in support of the company's business development activities to partner drug compounds from the company's two platform technologies.

This article was prepared by Science Letter editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2006, Science Letter via NewsRx.com.
Dunmann.