Fecal microbiota transplantation

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
Kronk
Family Elder

Fecal microbiota transplantation

Post by Kronk »

Its gross, no doubt, but the science behind "poop transplants" is starting to turn heads in the medical community. For MS it really speaks to the idea that gut bacteria makes a big difference in disease progression.

"...Whilst using FMT (fecal microbiota transplantation) to treat ulcerative colitis or constipation-predominant IBS in the Sydney clinic, serendipitous improvements in extraintestinal conditions not previously considered to be microbiota-related have also been observed. These include the virtually complete and prolonged (>15 years) normalization of previously severe multiple sclerosis symptoms in three patients whose constipation was the target of FMT,48 and progressive normalization of platelet counts in a patient with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura whose ulcerative colitis was successfully treated with FMT. In addition, we have also previously reported on the improvement of chronic fatigue syndrome using FMT in a long-term follow-up study. Of the 34 patients who underwent FMT and were available for follow-up, 14 (41.2%) patients obtained persisting relief and seven reported mild or gradual improvements..."

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar_url?hl ... kQgAMoADAA
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Fecal microbiota transplantation

Post by CureOrBust »

One of the problems I have with the above applying to me, is that I do not have constipation or any other IBS related symptom. So, maybe it will only help a specific group of patients with MS.
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

The MS patients were treated for bowel issues but they saw great improvement is there existing MS symptoms that were not related to the original issue. I don't think this therapy would be limited to bowel issue patients, though like all MS treatments its likely not a treatment that would help everyone.
daniel
Family Elder

Post by daniel »

I'm wondering if there have been any members of the forum who sought out FMT procedures and what the results have been? I tried to do a google search of the forums but was unable to find any member stories only this thread and the one about the 3 cases in Australia http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 20297.html
kujaw

Post by kujaw »

daniel wrote:I'm wondering if there have been any members of the forum who sought out FMT procedures and what the results have been? I tried to do a google search of the forums but was unable to find any member stories only this thread and the one about the 3 cases in Australia http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 20297.html
Yeah, I'm thinking about trying FMT this year but I'd like to know if there's anyone who had already done this treatment. Hopefully someone will share his/her story with us.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

something to consider perhaps;
Zinc Deficiency Predicts Fecal Microbiota Transplant Failure in Recurrent Clostridium Difficile Infection
http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0 ... 1421-X/pdf

Overall, 22 patients (23.2%) experienced CDI recurrence within one year post-FMT. Low zinc predicted one-year failure, with 11/40 (27.5%) of low zinc and 7/55 (12.7%) of normal zinc subjects experiencing failure at one year (p=0.04, Kaplan-Meier/Wilcoxon).
oh good old 'normal'. a very low cutoff, .66 mcg/ml.. wonder what percent of subjects would have experienced failure after one year if they used a cutoff closer to levels seen repeatedly in purely healthy controls ie 1.20 mcg/ml
my other question is, how many would have even needed to consider this measure at all, if the internal environmental conditions had been right [ie not zn deficient in the first place..] to support a healthy microbiome from the start..
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.