Tecfidera versus aubagio

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
Pfjes

Tecfidera versus aubagio

Post by Pfjes »

In brief, I was diagnosed with ms more than 20 years ago. Based on the treatments available then, I chose to wait as the disease was mostly a symptomatic. Now in my late 40's it has come back with a vengeance. MRI shows multiple lesions and I'm having multiple episodes especially with weakness in my left leg. My neurologist wants me to start medication now and my options are tecfidera or aubagio. I'm leaning towards tecfidera because the idea of hair loss is terrifying to me (yes, call me vain but I love my hair). I'm struggling with the decision so would appreciate any advice.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Tecfidera versus aubagio

Post by lyndacarol »

Pfjes wrote:In brief, I was diagnosed with ms more than 20 years ago. Based on the treatments available then, I chose to wait as the disease was mostly a symptomatic. Now in my late 40's it has come back with a vengeance. MRI shows multiple lesions and I'm having multiple episodes especially with weakness in my left leg. My neurologist wants me to start medication now and my options are tecfidera or aubagio. I'm leaning towards tecfidera because the idea of hair loss is terrifying to me (yes, call me vain but I love my hair). I'm struggling with the so would appreciate any advice.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Pfjes.

The symptoms of MS are common to many other conditions. You say that "it has come back with a vengeance," but maybe your recent episode has a totally different cause and condition. Weakness in your legs and lesions in the brain or spine are symptoms of a B12 deficiency, as well as symptoms of MS. Although you were diagnosed with MS 20 years ago, it is possible to have another, unrelated health issue.

If your GP or neurologist has not tested for a vitamin B12 deficiency, I encourage you to discuss it with a doctor. Any person, at any age, can develop a B12 deficiency. If you have not been taking a vitamin B supplement, a simple blood test for B12 is the place to start (it costs about $90, but insurance should cover it); taking vitamin B supplements before testing will skew the results.

A serum homocysteine test and a serum (or urinary) methylmalonic acid test are also very useful, as the B12 test alone is often not adequate to identify a deficiency.

If you are found to have a B12 deficiency, it is easily and inexpensively treated. In my opinion, this would be worth your time to investigate before jumping into any of the powerful MS medications.