RE MELATONIN COULD ONEDAY TREAT M.S

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
seeva
Family Elder

RE MELATONIN COULD ONEDAY TREAT M.S

Post by seeva »

HI Frends please read
http://www.hcplive.com/medical-news/mel ... sclerosis-
regards
seeva
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MELATONIN COULD ONEDAY TREAT M.S

Post by NHE »

The article seems inconsistent...
Levels of melatonin are higher during longer days in the spring and summer and lower in the shorter fall and winter days.
The researchers found that in the fall and winter, there was 32 percent reduction in the number of MS relapses compared to the spring and summer months. The researchers said that the higher melatonin levels in the darker, shorter months contribute to improving clinical symptoms.
I also think they meant to say "darker, shorter days" not "darker, shorter months." November and December are the same length as June and July respectively.

:roll:
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: MELATONIN COULD ONEDAY TREAT M.S

Post by CureOrBust »

NHE wrote:I also think they meant to say "darker, shorter days" not "darker, shorter months." November and December are the same length as June and July respectively.
But the days are shorter, and if they have the same number of days, its only mathematical that the month will be shorter. :wink:

I have always been hesitant with melatonin, as originally I had a diagnosis for a condition that was accepted as autoimmune, and I remember reading somewhere that melatonin was not recommended for people with autoimmune conditions.

for example.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/43576 ... e-disease/
Activation
In spite of melatonin's antioxidant properties, it has demonstrated a tendency to stimulate inflammation in patients with certain autoimmune disorders. A study published in the October 2007 issue of "British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology" demonstrated that rheumatoid arthritis actually worsened in study subjects who took melatonin. This finding both surprised and disappointed the study's authors, whose original hypothesis centered on the potential benefit from using melatonin to treat autoimmune diseases. However, these results mirrored those of other studies, which showed that melatonin stimulated immune cells to release inflammatory cytokines.

Considerations
The interactions among immune cells, hormones and your nervous system -- the NEI -- are complex. Some previously observed properties of melatonin, such as its antioxidant activity, have not been borne out in all clinical studies. This has led some experts to recommend that you not use melatonin if you have an autoimmune disease, since it could aggravate your already overactive immune system and lead to a worsening of your symptoms.
ton
Family Member

Re: RE MELATONIN COULD ONEDAY TREAT M.S

Post by ton »