Lucky Mice and perhaps us (in the future)

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.

Lucky Mice and perhaps us (in the future)

Postby ElliotB » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:02 pm

According to this article, a company from France called INSERM has successfully tested a drug with mice that seems to prevent MS disease progression.

here is the link

http://www.franceinfo.fr/vie-quotidienn ... ues-806939

(you will need to 'translate' the page as it is in French)

We can only hope this new approach really works BUT don't hold your breath!

(A friend of mine from France shared this with me.)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Lucky Mice and perhaps us (in the future)

Postby NHE » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:49 pm

ElliotB wrote:According to this article, a company from France called INSERM has successfully tested a drug with mice that seems to prevent MS disease progression.

FranceInfo wrote:Researcher at INSERM, Fabien Docagne is one of the authors of this discovery: "This is a key and lock system that exists at this wall and that will allow these cells to move within the brain. We also found a drug that will be capable of blocking this lock and will thus prevent cells from going inside the brain, and therefore, to attack our nerve cells. " He added that "this drug has shown significant efficacy in mice, a mouse that has something that resembles multiple sclerosis. When we give this drug, the mouse is better. It prevents disease progression and mice have no paralysis of the rear axle. this treatment has shown no side effects in mice. in these circumstances, given its effectiveness, it is hoped that one day this target may become a treatment in humans. "

Keeping immune cells out of the brain. Hmm... That sounds a lot like Tysabri and perhaps another PML promoter.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby ElliotB » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Might be... there is not a lot of info in the article and I did a quick search on the web and could not find any additional info.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby Snoopy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Well...I am not fond of the outdated (IMO) Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis (EAE) mouse model. Through research and clinical trials many of the treatments found to help mice are not helpful for us.

Despite the vast array of mouse models EAE is the most frequently exploited paradigm used to develop therapeutic approaches. However, despite over one thousand compounds used in the treatment of EAE few have become licenced for treatment of MS so far.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25777759

As you said --- lucky mice.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Return to Drug Pipeline