Should I take drugs or not?

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
lucy311

Should I take drugs or not?

Post by lucy311 »

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask a question that probably all of you were thinking about at some point. My question is how to make a decision about taking or not taking any drug? Let's say if you have very mild symptoms, such as lost of sensation, tingling in arms and legs, tremor of the hand, muscle weakness of one hand, dizziness, fatigue and sleeping trouble. That is mine situation. I was diagnosed one year ago and since then I got some new symptoms ( in the beginning I just had lost of sensation and tingling), while MRI was always the same (no new lesions). As probably most of you, I'm also very scared not to take any drug, but at the same time I'm feeling quite well and it's also hard to think about taking any drug with such a serious and bad side effects. So my question is, how to make this decision, what did help you to decide?

Thank you all for any answer and any advice :wink:
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Should I take drugs or not?

Post by ElliotB »

The choice for taking a DMD is a difficult and personal one. Consider Benjamin Franklin’s rule for decision making:

http://www.decisionsciencenews.com/2012 ... on-making/

Not to scare you but just to be factual, current symptoms and your previous history and not an indicator of future progression. A MRI has minimal usefulness as you can have symptoms without lesions and lesions without symptoms.
lucy311

Post by lucy311 »

Thank you for your reply and your help. Guess this rule for decision making might help, I'll definitely try to do it :smile:
oreo
Family Elder

Post by oreo »

Not always an easy decision. I have RRMS with a fairly mild burden of disease. We share many symptoms. I was diagnosed in 2004 and have been taking REBIF ever since. I have had no major or debilitating relapses in that time. Is that because of the REBIF. I don't know but I'm not yet willing to take a chance and stop taking the stuff. As for side effects - overstated after the first few months. EXCEPT for the ongoing risks to thyroid and liver function. A while back routine blood testing for these showed a thyroid problem. I am now on thyroid medication for the rest of my life but then so are a lot of people who don't have MS and are not on DMDs.

Good luck making your decision.
Carpe Diem
lucy311

Post by lucy311 »

Thank you so much your sincere reply. It is so good to hear you are doing well for such a long time, I understand it is hard to stop taking the drug now. This is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. On one hand, there is always a risk of taking drugs (especially the oral ones i guess) and on the other hand, there is a big chance our disease will progress without taking anything. Sometimes I hope that eating well, avoiding gluten :) taking food supplements and doing some sport (pilates or something like that) might be enough. But it is just my hope :smile:
Anyway, thank you again and I wish you good luck!