1,250 mls of Prednisone a day

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
yycmamma

1,250 mls of Prednisone a day

Post by yycmamma »

Hi all!

I haven't been on any official treatment for MS yet (I take cannabis oil), but that's it. Anyway...... I'm starting Prednisone today, and I'm only taking it for 3 days.... but the dosage is crazy! I'm taking 25 pills (50mls), everyday, for 3 days. I know it's been known to be taken like that for MS..... but have any of you done that? If you have, can you share your experience of side effects, and if it worked or not? Thanks! :)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: 1,250 mls of Prednisone a day

Post by NHE »

yycmamma wrote:I haven't been on any official treatment for MS yet (I take cannabis oil), but that's it. Anyway...... I'm starting Prednisone today, and I'm only taking it for 3 days.... but the dosage is crazy! I'm taking 25 pills (50mls), everyday, for 3 days. I know it's been known to be taken like that for MS..... but have any of you done that? If you have, can you share your experience of side effects, and if it worked or not? Thanks! :)
Side effects can vary. My last steroid treatment was about 2.5 years ago for what was believed to be an acute MS attack (I figured out later that my problems were really due to a combined folate and vitamin B12 deficiency). I had three days of IV solumedrol at 1 g/day. The first day it made my brain race a little bit. The second day I became somewhat emotional. The third day I just felt run down and had mental fog.

Keep in mind that although steroids for MS may shorten the duration of a current attack, they usually don't affect the long term course of the disease.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I'm surprised they are doing it that way. You may feel like you have a very upset stomach in a few days. It will pass as you are only doing it for three days. What are they hoping to achieve?

I'd rather have a nice hospital bed and a drip so I am well hydrated and relaxed. Cortisone can cause insulin resistance so you can present like a diabetic for a little while. If you feel weak have a small glass of apple juice when you notice it and that should offset it. Cortisone can also make you seem a bit hyperactive and wired to the outside world but you don't notice it yourself. Again, its dose dependent and fades away when you're off it. Enjoy a quiet life for a few days after you have stopped the course.

Regards,
yycmamma

Post by yycmamma »

Honestly, I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve. My thoughts are maybe my symptoms?...... Maybe it's just the waiting game to see results from my next MRI?..... I'm actually surprised that I haven't had any blood tests done..... I have a doctor's appt this Friday, maybe I'll ask her to send me in for some work. Waiting around sure it hard mentally! Basically, because I don't have support here yet. UGH.

Thanks for reading.
Scott1 wrote:I'm surprised they are doing it that way. You may feel like you have a very upset stomach in a few days. It will pass as you are only doing it for three days. What are they hoping to achieve?

I'd rather have a nice hospital bed and a drip so I am well hydrated and relaxed. Cortisone can cause insulin resistance so you can present like a diabetic for a little while. If you feel weak have a small glass of apple juice when you notice it and that should offset it. Cortisone can also make you seem a bit hyperactive and wired to the outside world but you don't notice it yourself. Again, its dose dependent and fades away when you're off it. Enjoy a quiet life for a few days after you have stopped the course.

Regards,
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Before my diagnosis, I was put on a 2 courses of Prednisone without having any bloodwork. My doctor at the time suspected sinus issues as that is what my symptoms pointed to. I quickly found a new doctor who had me stop the Prednisone (which wasn't doing anything anyway). But whether it works or not for an individual depends on many factors. Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon!
aetex
Family Member

Post by aetex »

My neurologist also does a short oral steroid burst. He has told me that the research is not showing an actual benefit to IV vs oral.
Side effects to watch out for:
GI upset- please take something like ranitidine or pantoprazole to protect your stomach both during the 3 days and for at least a few weeks afterwards. Always take steroids with food. High dose steroids can lead to ulcers or gastritis. Even though you posted this a couple weeks ago, I would get on something for your stomach even if you feel fine.
Vision- that blast of steroids messes up all your body fluids, including your eyes!! I felt great during the steroids but afterwards I had terrible blurred vision for about 3 days
Otherwise I felt great.
The steroids are to tone down current symptoms, all of the diagnostic stuff can be done afterwards but most neurologist will prescribe the steroids right away.
I hope your appointment went well!