Biogen gets in on CDP323

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
dignan
Family Elder

Biogen gets in on CDP323

Post by dignan »

Looks like Biogen is really trying to corner the market on new MS treatments.

UCB and Biogen Idec to Collaborate on Oral Multiple Sclerosis Therapy

MARKET WIRE -- October 02, 2006 -- UCB and Biogen Idec today announced a global collaboration to jointly develop and commercialize CDP323 for the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (MS) and other potential indications. CDP323 is an orally active small molecule alpha4-integrin inhibitor expected to enter Phase II clinical trials next year.

Under terms of the agreement, UCB will receive upfront and additional payments for development and commercial milestones in excess of 200 million US dollars. Furthermore Biogen Idec will contribute significantly to clinical costs for Phase II and Phase III studies. All commercialization costs and profits will be shared equally.

"Multiple Sclerosis affects more than a million people worldwide and we are delighted to be collaborating with Biogen Idec on our exciting CDP323 program. CDP323 has arisen from UCB's in-depth understanding of integrin biology and chemistry to address this difficult protein target. Our outstanding Phase I results encourage us to move rapidly into Phase II trials in MS patients. We believe that if trials are successful CDP323 could make a real difference for MS patients with this severe and debilitating disease," stated Melanie Lee, Executive Vice President, Research & Development for UCB.

"We are always looking to enhance and expand our arsenal in the fight against MS," said Al Sandrock, Senior Vice President, Neurology Research and Development for Biogen Idec. "Another effective oral therapy would augment Biogen Idec's broad portfolio of products and potential therapies in development for this debilitating disease. We are pleased that UCB has decided to partner with us on such a promising program."

About CDP323

CDP323 is a potent and orally active small molecule prodrug antagonist of alpha4-integrins. The safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetic profile of CDP323 have been evaluated in healthy volunteers in three separate Phase I studies. CDP323 was well tolerated with an adverse event profile comparable to placebo. Data from these studies have been reported at the 2006 European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS).

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_ht ... _id=168575
strawberryshortcake

Post by strawberryshortcake »

I can't wait for an oral treatment, it doesn't matter to me which company is first. I am familiar with Biogen, though, I take Avonex.
Jenn - unbalanced in more ways than one!

Return to “Drug Pipeline”