Fampridine

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
bromley
Family Elder

Fampridine

Post by bromley »

UK MS Society article on Fampridine.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/go.rm?id=18533
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Bromley,

I have been watching this channel blocker for a while now. Some many
MS drugs focus on slowing down disease progression, this one focuses on restoring function to screwed up nerves. Any of us who is in that category can appreciate that. I will "keep an eye" on this one. Maybe it will help with my Optic Neuritis ;) Have you looked at Acorda's website? www.acorda.com The illustrations are pretty interesting.

G
Rita
Family Member

Post by Rita »

If i saw correctly this video shows how Fampridine blocs the little hols of potassium channels preventing the lost of electrical impulses; but is this enough to restore function? How does Fampridine the restoration of the lost function?
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Well the reason that the nerve function is lost is that the electrical impulse (action potential) that fires the nerve can not cross the nerve due to the lost myelin. The exposed potasium channels leak out the electrical impulse and then nothing happens, or a weak and distorted signal results in something other than what is wanted and expected. If this stuff works then the electrical impulse will be able to cross the nerve even without the enabling myelin coating fully in place. That is the theory anyway...

I personally am excited about this research.

G
Rita
Family Member

Post by Rita »

Does Fampridine make a cover around the axon? The explanation is not so clear.

Return to “Drug Pipeline”