Question about Tovaxin

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
jessr

Question about Tovaxin

Post by jessr »

I have a question about Tovaxin since I am thinking about participating in the clinical trial. I have seen that some people here are participating in the clinical trial and must have had a chance to have their questions answered. I don't know much about the immune system and I was wondering if it was possible in theory for the Tovaxin vaccine to not only destroy myelin reactive T-cell but to destroy all T-cell in the immune system. I know it never happened before. But in theory, could this happen?
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

Hi Jessr,

I'm also trying to get into that trial. That sounds like a question for your doctor? I would think it is pretty safe since they only use your blood. The previous trials have had a very good safety record, even though they were small.
Take care, Ewizabeth Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone RRMS ~Tysabri, 31 infusions, ended 9/09. Starting Copaxone 12/09, waiting for Cladribine to be approved in 2010.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I am not in any trial, or have any medical training.

I would feel safe in this trial because,
1) They create a vaccine specific to your autoreactive T-Cells. I would guess in doing this they would test it before injecting that it would not kill ALL T-Cells.

2) The fact that you have to get another treatment would leave me with the impression that if it did go wrong, it would also fade.

3) You will be monitoured, I would hope with many a blood test after your first injection.

Personally, my biggest fear would be the placebo.

Good Luck Jessr!
jessr

Post by jessr »

Thanks Cure and Ewizabeth :)
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

Lyon wrote:I guess the question I've always had is that if your immune system really does learn the lesson, why does the process have to be repeated occasionally.

Realistically, the proof is in the pudding and the results seem to have been VERY good. I shouldn't question the gift horse, but if I were to ask the gift horse, that would be the question I would ask.
Bob,
Sort of like the flu shot I guess, is why it needs repeating. I'm sure it's way far over my head. :!:
Take care, Ewizabeth Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone RRMS ~Tysabri, 31 infusions, ended 9/09. Starting Copaxone 12/09, waiting for Cladribine to be approved in 2010.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

Me too Bob. My appointment to sign up is Friday. Thankfully I have been relentlessly busy all weekend and will be this week too. I'm not very good at being patient, but I think I should learn, and fast! :)
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

I already watched those Bob... they are really good videos! I hope they are accurate representations of what we will get from this treatment! (says Ewizabeth, the old lady college student :wink: )