Autoimmune Disease Treatment May Not Dampen Immune System

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
rainer
Family Elder

Autoimmune Disease Treatment May Not Dampen Immune System

Post by rainer »

THURSDAY, June 19 (HealthDay News) -- Researchers have uncovered cellular proteins that may be key to certain autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, according to a new study.

The findings, performed so far only in mice, point to potential new treatments for a range of human diseases that are mediated by immune system T-cells. These include many inflammatory and autoimmune disorders, illnesses that involve an immune system run amok.

More important, such a treatment might provide patients with all the benefits of existing drugs, without the general immune suppression that often accompanies them.

"It has an effect on an autoimmune disease -- a mouse model of multiple sclerosis -- and an inflammatory disease -- a mouse model of asthma -- but does not seem to interfere with protective immunity against toxoplasma, a parasite," said one expert, Dr. Noel Rose, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Autoimmune Disease Research in Baltimore.

more...

second article on same finding
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Mice again.
rainer
Family Elder

Post by rainer »

Yeah, it's a ways out but being able knock down select parts of the immune system would be golden for MS.
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Maybe... Or maybe not? It is very important to understand why you are knocking down ones immune system defenses. They don't really know if it is our immune system attacking our nerves, or something else. Its scary that they start tinkering with medications/techniques like that. Especially when they use a vermin as a model. IMO, completely faulty logic.

I used to use some of the same techniques when trouble shooting JavaScript and CSS pages. Sometimes it worked, for a while, but it usually ended up in a disaster for a webpage.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

I disagree, if MS is an autoimmune disease why someone with MS is more prone to cold and flu and why experiences more problems?
As I understand it MS is caused due to unbalanced and not overactiveimmune system as most people believe, that's why some medicines as LDN work although they boost it rather dampen it.