Flingolimod results

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.

Flingolimod results

Postby scoobyjude » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 am

Oral Multiple Sclerosis Drug More Effective, According to Trial Results
Thursday January 8, 2009
Fingolimod, an oral drug under development for treating multiple sclerosis, was shown to be more effective than current treatments in a recent trial.

The trial consisted of over 1,200 individuals receiving either fingolimod or Avonex. On average, the people receiving Avonex had 0.33 relapses per year while the people on fingolimod had between 0.16 and 0.20 relapses (depending on dosage tested).

The full results have not been released yet, but the company that owns the drug, Novartis, will submit for FDA approval by the end of 2009. That means there could be an effective oral MS treatment available in 2010. This is great news to all of us who deal with side effects and injection site reactions on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:02 am

same data, from a different angle:
http://www.fdanews.com/newsletter/article?articleId=113110&issueId=12242
The 0.5-mg dose of fingolimod showed a statistically significant 52 percent greater reduction in the risk of disease relapse after one year of treatment compared with Avonex and a 38 percent greater reduction in risk for the same endpoint for the 1.25-mg dose, Novartis said.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby lionheart » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:30 am

That's great news, I believe we are all waiting for the oral drugs with hope. Point is, I don't think doctors will dare to take you off your current interferon treatment if you're doing fine, just for your convinience. At least it will take a lot of time and further observations.
Moreover its efficacy has been studied in comparison to avonex, how about the other drugs?
lionheart
Family Member

Postby scoobyjude » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Moreover its efficacy has been studied in comparison to avonex, how about the other drugs?

My thoughts exactly. I'm still hopeful for an effective oral med though. My neuro has already expressed his opinion that I shouldn't switch if I'm doing ok on Rebif but he also knows of my desire to get off the needle. We'll see what happens I guess.
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Return to Drug Pipeline