MS and Martial Arts

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.

MS and Martial Arts

Postby MSKarateka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:59 pm

I was just diagnosed and consider myself lucky. My symptoms are not super bad. Just leg numbness, balance issues, and loss of some coordination.

I was wondering if anyone here practices martial arts and what they might recommend.
I started a year ago, and intend to continue.

I am finding that the constant work on spinning kicking, and 3 plane movement has helped.
MSKarateka
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 pm
Location: Central Maine

Advertisement

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby ElliotB » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Why not continue to do any and every activity you enjoy until you are unable to comfortably or effectively or safely? Ultimately, you will know when that time is.
ElliotB
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby MSKarateka » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I have no intention of stopping.
MSKarateka
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 pm
Location: Central Maine

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby ElliotB » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Where do you train? How long have you been training for? What type of martial arts are you studying? What level are you at? About 15 years ago I was just a few months away from getting my Black Belt after about 3 years of training and I tore my ACL during a performance on our demo team and that kind of ended my karate career.
ElliotB
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby MSKarateka » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 am

I train in a town near where I live in Central Maine.
Shotokan with JJJ and Judo blended in.
I have only been training about 1 year.
Yellow Belt working on blue.
MSKarateka
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 pm
Location: Central Maine

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:43 pm

MSKarateka wrote:I train in a town near where I live in Central Maine.
Living in Central Maine, you are very probably deficient in vitamin D.

If you have not had the vitamin D blood test called "25-hydroxy D," it would be a good idea (in my opinion) for you to ask your GP to order it for you. Also, request your own copy of the test results so that you have the actual numbers.
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 3318
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby MSKarateka » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:26 pm

lyndacarol wrote:
MSKarateka wrote:I train in a town near where I live in Central Maine.
Living in Central Maine, you are very probably deficient in vitamin D.

If you have not had the vitamin D blood test called "25-hydroxy D," it would be a good idea (in my opinion) for you to ask your GP to order it for you. Also, request your own copy of the test results so that you have the actual numbers.


That was a test she ordered. I came back deficient and have already started Vitamin B Complex, Fish Oil 3 6 9, and Vitamin D.
MSKarateka
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 pm
Location: Central Maine

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby Boudreaux » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:19 am

BJJ- There is no way I could remain vertical if I removed one of my feet from the ground in an effort to kick anything above knee height. The thing that gets me is the heat, grappling with someone while wearing a GI can drive the temp up fast.
User avatar
Boudreaux
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: MS and Martial Arts

Postby MSKarateka » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Boudreaux wrote:BJJ- There is no way I could remain vertical if I removed one of my feet from the ground in an effort to kick anything above knee height. The thing that gets me is the heat, grappling with someone while wearing a GI can drive the temp up fast.


I agree with you on the sweating. I sweat like a pig and my gi is usually drenched. It feels good.

I did take an introductory BJJ class once. We were on a trip the NYC and I wanted to try something that I did not have access to.
If I could I would do Karate class and BJJ.
MSKarateka
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 pm
Location: Central Maine


Return to Exercise and Physical Therapy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service