Are You Able To Exercise?

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
Bonnie
Family Member

Are You Able To Exercise?

Post by Bonnie »

I can, but have learned to be happy with ANY amount my body can handle. It's a far cry from my exercise routine prior to MS, but the way I look at it, even a small amount of exercise, does a body good. :D

I have to admit, stretching is what I probably need the most, but I also hate doing it the most, it seems quite monotonous, perhaps I just have to find the right music to listen to, while I do it. 8)
Bonnie
susannah
Getting to Know You...

It is good to exercise if you have ms

Post by susannah »

Hi! I do water aquatics, light machine weights, treadmill, walking etc. I stop if i am feeling dizzy or too hot. It is all about moderation and choosing an exercise you enjoy. Hope that helps! Susannah
Clint Eastwood Fan
fightingms
Family Member

Post by fightingms »

I learned allot of wonderful muscle strength building exercises in PT a year ago. { this was when I could hardly walk and had extreme back pain}.

Very slow movements and stretching can build strength in your muscles. Very important for our MS legs. I have a tread mill and a weight lifting bench that I do bridges and crunches and arm curls and leg lifts on.

We put in a pool last summer and that is great for after workout heating up. Also swimming is the Best low impact workout and MS person can get. You are cool the whole time and you can just stretch your legs and move them against the water for a great workout.

Good Luck to everyone in their workout. Remember we don't have to kill ourselves to get a good workout. Whatever you can move ....Move it...great benefits.

Take care all......Kim
dawny
Family Member

dawny

Post by dawny »

I walk on a treadmill 3 to 4 times a week for about 20min. 1mile. Then I do 25 sit ups and weights with my arms. It is hard to do that at time but I force my self. It help me with the fatigue.
May
Getting to Know You...

excercise

Post by May »

Hi all, been a while, glad I can still get in here to post. :wink: I can excersise as long as I dont get to overheated doing it. Plus I'm a fidgeter, knee bounces, foot swings, fingers drum, my hubby says even when I sit still I'm in motion. Does tossing and twitching in bed count as excersise? Cause I sure do burn the calories when sleeping, too. :roll: Who needs a gym, hah, there's an excersise program for you, "sleep isometrics", could start a trend for those folks who dont have time to work out when their awake.
Shayk
Family Elder

Exercise keeps you going!

Post by Shayk »

Hi all!

I'm happy to say I can still exercise and use that as a gauge as to how my MS is or is not doing its thing.

I do water aerobics in a therapeutic pool 2x week (90+degrees) and so far no problem with that temp water. The other days I practice walking on a treadmill, do aerobics on an elliptical and exercise bike and do weights.

I think if I didn't exercise the MS would be much worse. The pool and fitness equipment are at a physical rehab center and I think that's really helped.

Even tho I haven't had pt yet, they worked out a new routine for me once I was diagnosed with MS (last August) that included more core strengthening and balance exercises. Plus, I get :) to do the weights one arm or leg at a time instead of both at once so my strong side doesn't do all the work....takes longer, but makes sense to me.

:) Sharon

"Life's a rodeo, get on and ride until the final bell!"
BrendaH
Family Member

Post by BrendaH »

I miss doing aerobics so much! But it's just too much now - can't coordinate, lift legs correctly, etc. Sigh! :cry:

I do have a good video tape of some stretching and yoga for people with MS. Of course, I'm drawing a blank on the name - wait, wait... Pathways for Limited Mobility! That's it! It's very good, (if anyone wants the exact name let me know and I'll get it) and I used to do it religiously at least every other day. But since this dizziness kicked in again, I have a hard time changing from lying down position to standing or sitting without having the whole room spin. So, I haven't done it in a while, and unfortunately, I can feel the muscles weakening!

I also bought an excercise machine a couple of years ago, the TotalGym. It's great, but heavy to set up. I've been trying to motivate myself to get back on it - should make it my resolution for the year!

In other words, not doing any regular exercise right now. Not proud of it! I should be doing as much as I can while I still can!!

Brenda
Brenda H.
Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention. -Greg Anderson
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Brenda, what's this about not having the motivation to exercise :?:

I'll try to find that Yoga video because I find the stretching really seems to help with the spasticity or whatever it is. I haven't quite figured this MS stuff out (do we ever :?: )

I exercised tonight and can tell I'm losing ground but I hope it's only temporary.

Anyway, I really wanted to reply to try to boost you into trying some stretches or something that doesn't spin you around the room. I've yet to experience that symptom, but it doesn't sound pleasant.

You know you can do arm weights with cans of vegetables.... :roll:

Be well and I hope the spinning stops.

Sharon
BrendaH
Family Member

Post by BrendaH »

Sharon,

Thanks for the encouragement! I will start back on my machine to work on my arms and legs, doing the exercises which I don't need to be lying down for. It's good for me to hear from someone else that I NEED to be doing something :!:

Helps to get me off my lazy bum! :wink: I'll be posting soon about how sore my muscles are after only 3 or 4 repetitions - disgusting! :lol: But, little by little, day by day, I've just got to be patient and keep at it.

Hugs,
Brenda H.
Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention. -Greg Anderson
dawny
Family Member

Post by dawny »

Bonnie,
You can do it I have a hard time walking but I just remind myself how good I will feel and I do it little by little walk for 10 min and know I'm up to 20. Good Luck to you! Dawn :D
Dawn
BrendaH
Family Member

Post by BrendaH »

Thanks, Dawn! (I think you meant Brenda, but I'm honored to be confused with Bonnie! :lol: )

Brenda
Brenda H.
dawny
Family Member

Post by dawny »

Brenda,
I'm sorry for the confusing you with Bonnie. My brain wasn't working this morning. :?
BrendaH
Family Member

Post by BrendaH »

I know how that feels! It's 5:00 here and time to go home from work and I feel like I'm about ready to shut down, too!

Where is my couch and the remote control? Did I just say that out loud??? :o I mean, let me pull out that exercise machine and get started! :oops:
Brenda H.
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

:lol: Brenda, I can't believe you had the nerve to post in another thread that you were anxious to pick up the remote instead of exercising :!:

Here I thought I'd have the report about how tired and sore you were.

I do hope you get back to doing some of exercise. I am happy to report I was a good doobie and went to my water aerobics tonight....really love that. It's so relaxing and you get to work at your own pace.

So :?: tomorrow we get to read about how sore you are, right? :)

Sharon
BrendaH
Family Member

Post by BrendaH »

Monday - I promise! Tonight and tomorrow my daughter Morgan is playing in the orchestra at the school play, so I'll be driving back and forth to drop her off and pick her up for rehearsals and the play. Sunday should be a relatively calm day, and now that I know I HAVE to report back to you, can't make up any more excuses! :lol:

Glad you had a good pool workout - you're my inspiration! :wink:
Brenda H.