Is this normal behaviour??

For questions on how to support loved ones with MS.
pepsi

Is this normal behaviour??

Post by pepsi »

One of my friends was diagnosed with MS 2 or so years ago and had her first major relapse 2 months ago. I understand that balance and coordination are affected and her walking is coming along very well. I also understand that depression can be a factor with MS too.

However my concern is other elements of her behaviour. She has begun coming out with random things mid conversation that bear no relevance to the conversation being had. I've been told by others that she has also begun acting childish and using inappropriate language. Previous to her relapse she also started to gossip and bitch more than normal and then played dumb after - denying it and then blaming her MS.

Ive tried talking to her about this - trying to see if maybe depression is getting to her? Her responses never really make any sense at all. It's really quite worrying.

Is this behaviour a known symptom of MS?
Froggie
Family Elder

Re: Is this normal behaviour??

Post by Froggie »

Hi Pepsi- Behavioral changes can occur depending on where the lesions are. I am more impatient than I used to be and get frustrated a lot more easily. Has your friend had a neuro-psych assay done? That would give her a benchmark as to where she is right now. I was having problems processing information and getting words out. After my own neuro-psych testing, I started seeing a speech therapist, which has helped immensely.

If she's depressed and/or acting out inappropriately, she made need a good psycho-therapist. This disease can bring out a lot of emotions that we're not equipped to deal with. It may help her cope with what sounds like a lot of changes she's had to make. Thankfully, she has a good friend like you looking out for her.
hermano

Re: Is this normal behaviour??

Post by hermano »

The short answer to your question is Yes what you described is symptomatic of MS.

Impulsiveness (i.e. over talking, talking out of turn, tangential thinking) are all symptoms. Getting overly frustrated (i.e. bitching as you label it) is also a classic symptom and not something an MS patient can just turn off.

With a healthy person I would have no issue counseling behavioral shortcomings. With an MS patient with brain lesions that affect behavior its a different story. If you are a good friend try to reduce the stress, be supportive and be there to help in non judgmental ways.

This may be tough advice but you should take it to heart. You can play a positive role if you so desire. If not, I would avoid being the person that adds stress to the person because the disease negatively impacts their behavior.

Take it or leave it.