Advice

For questions on how to support loved ones with MS.
bigjstang

Advice

Post by bigjstang »

Hello all,

I have never been one to really look for support online but i am entering uncharted territory and want to be the best significant other i can be.
very recently my fiancee and i found out she has ms. we have been together for almost 3 years now and she is the love of my life. i want to make sure that i support her to the best of my ability. i have been reading up online on symptoms and what to expect. i want this relationship to last and so dose she and i know this will be a ever changing road and will have ups and downs and wanted some advice on how some of you make it work. i know i will make mistakes but who dosent its apart of being human. the thing i fear most is between my mental health issues i wont be able to always give 1--% of what she needs from me and that is terrifying.before the diagnosis she wanted to have a child in the future and i was hesitant because i have a child from a previous marriage and i didnt want him to feel less loved. and right before the new i had decided that when the time was right there would be nothing that could bring me more joy than to share the experience of bringing a child into the world with her and raising him or her. and after the news she is afraid of the idea. and i understand that she is worried that she may pass it on to the child. ether way i support her and want her to be happy. so any advise or support is truly greatly appreciated. thank you to those who take the time to read this post.
Jim
avengr13
Getting to Know You...

Re: Advice

Post by avengr13 »

You sound like an awesome man and you are both lucky!
You are doing the right things by being informed and caring. But as much as you want to, you can't fix her. Just be there to support her emotionally.
As for kids, maybe you can each make a list, one through ten, and then compare regarding the importance of all issues; health, marriage, jobs, kids and then exchange and discuss.
Take care and good wishes to both of you! :)