Study reveals more evidence that some forms of MS are...

Discuss topics relevant to gene therapy for MS here

Study reveals more evidence that some forms of MS are...

Postby MSUK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:29 am

Study reveals more evidence that some forms of MS are inherited

Less than a year after publishing research identifying a single genetic mutation that caused multiple sclerosis (MS) in two Canadian families, scientists at the University of British Columbia have found a combination of two other mutations in another family that made them highly susceptible to the disease...Read more - http://www.ms-uk.org/study-reveals-more-evidence-some-forms-ms-are-inherited-180417
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Study reveals more evidence that some forms of MS are...

Postby Lisette » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:09 am

I recently had my DNA tested, for ancestry reasons. To my surprise I have a higher than average Neanderthal percentage, I didn't even realize that this was included in the test. Anyways, after finding this out, I found information about this dna being linked to autoimmune disease. At my last visit to my neurologist, they confirmed that they were aware of this knowledge. So, I wonder is this the culprit, mixed with other factors , to come up with the perfect storm of MS? But, what are the other factors? I have a nephew and two first cousins with MS, all living in the same local environment, which I suppose is a lot higher than average, but what makes us different from the rest of the family?
Lisette

Re: Study reveals more evidence that some forms of MS are...

Postby lyndacarol » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:45 am

Lisette wrote:I recently had my DNA tested, for ancestry reasons. To my surprise I have a higher than average Neanderthal percentage, I didn't even realize that this was included in the test. Anyways, after finding this out, I found information about this dna being linked to autoimmune disease. At my last visit to my neurologist, they confirmed that they were aware of this knowledge. So, I wonder is this the culprit, mixed with other factors , to come up with the perfect storm of MS? But, what are the other factors? I have a nephew and two first cousins with MS, all living in the same local environment, which I suppose is a lot higher than average, but what makes us different from the rest of the family?

Vitamin D levels are frequently low in those with multiple sclerosis. (2011)
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/vit ... -sclerosis

CONCLUSION: 25-OH vit D serum level is very low in MS, mainly in RR-SP and PP MS and is correlated with disability. This suggests MS patients should be screened for vitamin D deficiency and given supplementation systematically when hypovitaminosis D is discovered.

Canadian researchers8 recently reconfirmed the link between vitamin D deficiency and MS, noting that patients who have genetic variations that cause them to have low vitamin D levels are far more likely to develop the disease. (So far, four genetic variations have been found that appear to cause low vitamin D.)
According to co-author Dr. Brent Richards, the researchers "feel that the evidence we have supports a causal relationship, but it does not prove it." :
Genetically lowered 25OHD level is associated with an increase in the risk of MS in people of European descent.
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/gen ... e-european

…Four SNPs were genome-wide significant for 25OHD level (p-values ranging from 6× 10-10 to 2 × 10-109), and all four SNPs lay in, or near, genes strongly implicated in separate mechanisms influencing 25OHD.

CMAJ September 1, 2015
Craig Moore, a neuroscience researcher at Memorial University of Newfoundland, questions whether vitamin D supplementation would benefit those with this type of genetic variance, saying:9
"Is their body going to do what it needs to with vitamin D? It's not going to exert the effects that it otherwise would."
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Return to Gene Therapy