Certain Probiotics Reverse MS In Clinical Lab Study

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
harry1
Family Member

Certain Probiotics Reverse MS In Clinical Lab Study

Post by harry1 »

I was reading this on another forum about a clinical lab study by Lund University Sweden showed that when they gave Probiotics or 3 specific strains of Lactobacilli to mice with MS that it stopped it's progression and in many cases reversed their MS Symptoms during the study. They speculate that it has an effect on pro inflammatory Cytokines and also IL-10 which usually tells the T-Cells to attack the nerve tissue in the CNS and Periphery areas of the body according to the researchers. They emphasized that you have to take the 3 specific lactobacilli strains for it to help on MS.

Article for those interested.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0009009
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

thanks for this.. interesting, even if it is only mice and EAE... i have been ignoring the probiotics thing for a while now maybe i'll get another bottle and see if there is anything to report :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
harry1
Family Member

Post by harry1 »

I'm glad i saw the post as this is interesting as i've never taken probiotics before and don't know much about them. They were saying in that article that even if they gave the mice just two strains i.e. L plantarum and L paracasei that they still improved and so i just went over to vitacost website and looked at a couple of their probiotic brands and they have those strains along with others as i'm thinking of purchasing them to add along with my other regimen of diet and exercise changes i've reciently adopted.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

I take a pretty heavy dose of probiotics constantly--for number of years now--periodically is good to try new ones, and need heavy dose ones (5-10 Billion) if already ill.
One i found very helpful (i seem to have celiac--test postive for allergy to gluten and gliadanand lactose, and a million other things) in reducing reactions was Reuterii--I get the powder, and double the dose (and take another type of probiotic -Culturelle-- with it as well). What is so novel about the Reuterii is that it is in mother's milk--I know i was not breast fed, so felt maybe it would help--and it did (it also contains the standards, Acidophilus and Bifido).

I tried a plantarum this past summer--didn't find it particularly helpful-forget which ones I mixed with it.
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

this is great. thanks. I'm scouring the web looking for a formula with all three. It seems the L. plantarum is rarely defined as to which one it is.

If anyone finds one, please post! and I will do the same.
harry1
Family Member

Post by harry1 »

Absentee wrote:this is great. thanks. I'm scouring the web looking for a formula with all three. It seems the L. plantarum is rarely defined as to which one it is.

If anyone finds one, please post! and I will do the same.
Absentee

I see that Vitacost has a formula called ''NSI Probiotic 15-35'' that looks good as i'll probably purchase that as a start.

Note: i wanted to say that i improperly stated in my earlier post that IL-10 raises inflammation as i mean't to state that it clamps down on the pro inflammatory Cytokines and the Probiotic Strains in this study help to raise IL-10 in the intestinal tract and hence lower inflammation.
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

harry1 wrote:
I see that Vitacost has a formula called ''NSI Probiotic 15-35'' that looks good as i'll probably purchase that as a start.

Note: i wanted to say that i improperly stated in my earlier post that IL-10 raises inflammation as i mean't to state that it clamps down on the pro inflammatory Cytokines and the Probiotic Strains in this study help to raise IL-10 in the intestinal tract and hence lower inflammation.
thank you Harry. Now I am trying to figure out how much of this to take - any ideas? I suppose I will just start with the recommended dosage, since I am not a mouse.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

note that the three lactobacillli used in the test were very specific strains of the three used--so getting the vitacost, or any, blend on the market will in all probablility NOT include the strains used, unless specified.

You could contact the various companies compounding the probiotics to see if any of the three used in this study are being used in commercial blends.
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

shye wrote:note that the three lactobacillli used in the test were very specific strains of the three used--so getting the vitacost, or any, blend on the market will in all probablility NOT include the strains used, unless specified.

You could contact the various companies compounding the probiotics to see if any of the three used in this study are being used in commercial blends.
I understand that, but after a discussion with a fellow at the supplement counter at my local natural market today, I now believe that those blends are just proprietary holds to protect market share. In other words, this may be "close enough".
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

they may be, but I would not take the advice of the store employee on this--for one, they have a product to sell, and then, how would they know something about this?
Why waste time and money on an assumption; can get an answer by just emailing or phoning one of the big producers of probiotics.
I've contacted vitamin companies a number of times, and always get prompt and very good responses. Sure the same would happen with this.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

Folks who are on the Combined Antibiotic Protocol for MS have likely been taking probiotics for years. It would be interesting to find out if these organisims are in the ones others are taking. Kim's probiotic, Vitamin Shoppe's Ultimate 10 had one of the three. Ken
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
harry1
Family Member

Post by harry1 »

Absentee wrote:
harry1 wrote:

thank you Harry. Now I am trying to figure out how much of this to take - any ideas? I suppose I will just start with the recommended dosage, since I am not a mouse.
O.k. i just pruchased from vitacost the ''NSI 15/35'' probiotic formula as it has 15 strains including the L Paracasei and the L Plantarum that were in the clinical study. I'm on SSDI so i don't have lots of money but it cost me $28.00 for a 2 month supply.

Also i want to add that my diet has been terrible for years and so i've read alot on this site about the different ''MS diets'' from many of the GREAT posters on here and so i'm going to start eating alot healthier along with adding Fish Oils and the Probiotics and we'll see how i feel over the next several weeks/months etc. as having this neural disease since 1996 i realise that it will be a slow process if i ever get better.
harry1
Family Member

Post by harry1 »

Absentee wrote:
I understand that, but after a discussion with a fellow at the supplement counter at my local natural market today, I now believe that those blends are just proprietary holds to protect market share. In other words, this may be "close enough".
Absentee

anyone one who sells or makes supplements/ probiotics etc. wants to sell them and so you may want to do what i did as i read the reviews of the different probiotics from those who purchased them and while for examole the one i purchase had tons of great reviews however it also had bad reviews as i appreciate vitacost allowing those to be stated. Also on amazon they allow all the good, average and bad reviews on supplements to be posted as i spent several hours reading all of them on the different brands i was interested in..

So do your own research like i did and i think that youi'll be fine.

harry
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

I believe fermented foods such as sauerkraut and kimche are a good source of L plantarum.
Danielwayne

Re: Certain Probiotics Reverse MS In Clinical Lab Study

Post by Danielwayne »

Alright, few things. 1. Take care of the emotional trauma that made susceptible. 2. An incomplete intestinal flora is why we have MS. You can't plant flowers in a junk yard, so get ready to do,work! Change your diet, purge yourself of pathogens! "but I don't have pathogens.." Yes you do! From candida to a virus, you have it. After the purge, your gonna reseed your gut with probiotics. And continue to teach your body to defends itself on its own.