Social Security Disability help

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
lisaa123

Social Security Disability help

Post by lisaa123 »

My neice is applying for Disabilty based on MS and she asked that I post this website to share.

It has copies of actual letters that people receive from Social Security when they apply for Disability Benefits. It has approval letters, denial letters, stuff like that.

It also has wait times for hearings and stories and other helpful things. She thought it might help.

It is http://www.ssdfacts.com
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

The first thing you need to do is call your local MS chapter. As worthless as they are, lol, they should provide you with a list of local occupational therapists who do disability assessments, or give you a disability attorney number. The attorney will cost you ten percent of the initial back payment.

I was lucky enough that the disability assessment from the OT was all I needed.

This was too important not to post and help you with, considering I went through it all.
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

I heard that the attorneys take 25%
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Some do take that much. Some pay for their own doctors assessment while others have you pay for it. It may be where the difference lies but either way, 25% isn't that much considering you will be ok for life.

Good luck to you.
Apuman
Family Elder

Post by Apuman »

chrishasms wrote:Some do take that much. Some pay for their own doctors assessment while others have you pay for it. It may be where the difference lies but either way, 25% isn't that much considering you will be ok for life.
As I understand it, there is a reevaluation every 3 years, where you would need to hire a lawyer again.
lisaa123

Post by lisaa123 »

I read on the site the re eval is either every 3, 5 or 7 years and you don't need a lawyer. They send you a form to fill out you send it back and then they decide at that point if you need to be reviewed. If you do then perhaps you would get a lawyer but if your condition has not improved then you keep your benefits.
lisaa123

My neice got her benefits

Post by lisaa123 »

Yeah!!! just wanted to let you all know my neice got her disability. A huge relief!!
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Reevaluation is every few years (I am on SSDI for other than the MS)--can be either going to their Drs. or having you fill out questionnaire, and then they might contact your doctors (much depends on initial acceptance and what your drs said then--that is, permanent disabilty, not sure if permanent ,etc). You do not need a lawyer for these reevaluations (unless of course they deny benefits--then would probably be best to have a lawyer to appeal).
But you are NOT "okay for life" as chrishasms states--at retirement age, you will start getting SS rather than SSDI--and SSDI is quite a bit higher!Remember, if you are on full disability and getting SSDI, you are in all probability not working, so not contributing to SS: So when you start getting SS at retirement age, your benefits will be quite low.
lisaa123

disability

Post by lisaa123 »

I think that is unfair. I realize you are receiving money from social security but to have your benefits lessened at retirement age due to your disability seems wrong. I guess it is what it is but I didn't realize that happened.
Thanks for the info.
ShootingStar
Family Member

Post by ShootingStar »

Thank for posting about the site! Good stuff there. Just the thought of doing all that paperwork (ok, webwork) again has made me put it off. This will be a great help.