Eye pain

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
JadeVictoria
Getting to Know You...

Eye pain

Post by JadeVictoria »

Hi,
I'm mostly a lurker here, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you all a question. I am having pain behind my right eye. I am not having any increased vision loss.

I feel like I may be having a flare as I am having a big increase in my other symptoms.

My question is, can eye pain be part of a flare up if you don't have any vision loss? I do have an appointment on Monday with my opthamologist. Thank you. Jade
DavidR
Family Member

Post by DavidR »

Jade,

My mom was diagnosed with MS about 30 years ago. Her only symptom during those years has been pain behind one of her eyes. Like you, she has no vision loss, just the pain. In her case it usually happens about 2x per month and lasts 1 - 3 days. My assumption is that she has mylin damage on her optic nerve that just periodically flares up. It can be very painful for her, but she treats it with Ibuprophin and rest, which has been effective for her.
JadeVictoria
Getting to Know You...

Post by JadeVictoria »

Thanks David that's really helpful.
ms2009
Family Member

Post by ms2009 »

My wife has similar symptoms as well and the neuro said this is due to MS. Her situation is really good but the pain in the eye and the hands is back and forth.
JadeVictoria
Getting to Know You...

Post by JadeVictoria »

Does your wife do anything for it? I am getting kinda tired of it.
jozee
Family Member

Post by jozee »

Hi Jade,

I'm a lurker too. I've had ms for 28 yrs. How time flies. I've been having eye pain for a few days now. I seem to get this pain every spring during allergy season. I live in Houston, allergies are bad here. I take L-Lysine ( 2 tablets per day, in divided doses -1000 mg each). L-Lysine is a supplement that is sometimes used for the herpes virus which can effect the eyes. I also use the netti pot to wash my sinuses. These both work for me. Of course you should let your Doc. know whats going on with your eyes. Hope this helps.

J :)