Massage Therapy

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Lace

Massage Therapy

Post by Lace »

Has anyone tried massage therapy?
If you have, did you find it an effective therapy for any of your symptoms?
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

Hi Lace,
I have been to Bangkok, Thailand a couple of times, partly for traditional Thai massage therapy. I find it very helpful in aiding muscle movement and relieving spasticity. It is also available locally (Melbourne, Australia) but quite expensive and not as good. Prior to commencing massage therapy I learned from the web of a Canadian who had married a Thai girl and they were operating a health complex, including Thai massage at a location in British Columbia, somewhere north of Vancouver. Some Canadians with MS were very supportive of this facility. You may find this information helpful.
Regards,
Phil
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Massage Therapy

Post by HarryZ »

Lacey,
Lace wrote:Has anyone tried massage therapy?
If you have, did you find it an effective therapy for any of your symptoms?
My wife has tried massage therapy for her MS on a number of occasions. Generally speaking, it helps reduce the stiffness and pain that many MS patients experience. It helps to have a therapist who has worked with MS patients because too much massaging on a muscle can cause it to become weak and non-responsive.

Harry
Arcee
Family Elder

Post by Arcee »

Hi Lace -

My experience with massage was different, probably because of the circumstances, but I'm curious to know if anyone else had a similar response (and then how they've dealt with it).

About a year ago, during what I know know was an MS attack but at the time did not, I went for a massage in the hope that it would relax me and help alleviate some of the weird sensations I was having. The massage actually made me feel worse. In retrospect, I think it was because the lesion on my neck was being pushed.

I have not had a massage since, but I also have not had any problems with muscles since then. I can see how massage would help in those situations. I'm wondering if people limit the massage to their limbs or if, as long as they are not experiencing "active" lesions, they go ahead with a massage on their spine and neck (where all my massages pre-MS always started off).

- Arcee
carolsue
Family Elder

Post by carolsue »

Massage therapy (by the right therapist) is an incredible wellness tool. If I could afford it, I'd do it weekly. I don't have symptoms so don't know first hand how effective at providing relief massage would be, but I can't imagine it wouldn't.

You also might consider yoga, or at least the breathing techniques for relaxation. It's amazing what effect it can have.

carolsue
treez
Family Elder

Post by treez »

Perhaps this should be in Regimens or Reading Nook but.

For anyone interested in carolsue's breathing, relaxation suggestion.
There is a book titled "The Relaxation Response" by Herbert Benson. You can it get in paperback and is only $10-$12 dollars if I remember right. Pretty good book, but requires some decipline on your part, 20 minutes once or twice a day. Yes it works, once you get the hang of it.

It is addressing anxiety and the role it plays in heart disease but........Cortisol plays a role in MS. Meditation, relaxation, have a positive effect on relieving chronic stress and anxiety.

Lower your chronic high cortisol levels and help control MS?

Who knows?

Treez
DawnsBrain
Family Member

Post by DawnsBrain »

I AM currently doing deep tissue massage through my PTherapist along with other PT.

I find I benefit from the deep tissue massage. I started the initial trmt before starting on any of the medications used in the trmt of MS. I also had been getting regular massages prior to being dxd with MS. Whether this makes a big difference in the results of my following this therapy route at this time, who knows. I do feel it to be a combo of things really.

I have DT twice a week with my therapist. She also has furthered her education(she is always doing this!)and does what a chiro would but does it in a different manner d/t her knowing the overall picture with me. She helps me stretch and we find those little places that are bothersome for me.

As someone mentioned IN the RIGHT hands a therapist can be such a wonderful tool not to mention a friend too b/c they see you at your worst and try to help you find a better for yourself.

I do find my energy level is better. My gait is better and my drop foot is not as bothersome as it once was. I think this has to do with the intense work we did on my left hip. My left side is my most bothersome side. I think freeing up my hip has helped me be able to work the muscles in a manner to deal with my drop foot.

I also do not have to take as much medicine as I once did. My sxs are still there but not as maddening as we all know they can be. I also notice my aches/pains are not as many which I think is b/c my posture is better b/c I am stretching and having PT I am having.
DawnsBrain
Family Member

Post by DawnsBrain »

Arcee wrote:Hi Lace -

About a year ago, during what I know know was an MS attack but at the time did not, I went for a massage in the hope that it would relax me and help alleviate some of the weird sensations I was having. The massage actually made me feel worse. In retrospect, I think it was because the lesion on my neck was being pushed.

I have not had a massage since, but I also have not had any problems with muscles since then. I can see how massage would help in those situations. I'm wondering if people limit the massage to their limbs or if, as long as they are not experiencing "active" lesions, they go ahead with a massage on their spine and neck (where all my massages pre-MS always started off).

- Arcee
Arcee
Usually you will feel worse after a deep tissue massage d/t the nature of this particular type of massage. This massage goes DEEP and manually disturbs substances that may be built up in our body. This is not the type of massage one would normally find relaxing. I DO at times but I have been at it for a while with the DTmassage.

A stress relieving massage will not alleviate any of the weird sensations we have b/c that is the nature of our disease. Some patients can not have massage therapy b/c of it being painful to have anything touch them b/c of burning sensation for example.

I still have the annoying sxs but find them just not as intense as they can be and I am addicted to the positive benefits I am having after making it through the worst part I HOPE of my DTmassage therapy.
:lol:
Arcee
Family Elder

Post by Arcee »

DawnsBrain -

Thanks for explaining your experience in detail. It's helpful and encouraging. I think in my massage experience it was more the pressure on the lesion sending shooting sensations rather than the basic deep tissue approach. I can get similar sensations if I position my neck in a certain way (the lesion is on my neck). So I've been thinking that avoiding the neck with massage may be the way to go. Also, for what it's worth, your description of the way you feel after massage is simililar to how I feel after acupuncture.

- Arcee