Stem cell 'reboot' promising as MS cure

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby dignan » Tue May 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Just on the replication question, though I'm not sure about the precise conditioning regime used by Freedman et al, there are plenty of other autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation studies. For instance:

a couple of study abstracts:
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20350962

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19584827

a couple of review articles:
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19773265

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19895895
dignan
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Lyon » Tue May 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Wed May 05, 2010 10:11 am

It seems there are two schools of thought when it comes to re-booting. The chemo followed by stem cell transplant, and the chemo-only approach (leaving the bone marrow cells intact), a la HiCy, and to a certain extent Campath. I wonder which is right - if the chemo only is enough.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby fernando » Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Dignan, you are right. In fact we could say that Freedman's experiment is the replication of a vast series of previous ones.
fernando
Family Elder

Postby scorpion » Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Which seem to have had positive results...
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 pm

scorpion wrote:Which seem to have had positive results...

If you were in the inflammatory stage of the disease. But not if you're progressive. From a paper co-authored by Freedman --

Both Nash et al. and we seem to agree that HSCT might be an effective therapy for multiple sclerosis (MS) patients in the so-called inflammatory stage of the disease. These patients appear to benefit from the intense immunosuppression and the reprogramming of their immune system (Muraro et al., 2003; Martin, 2007). The benefit for these patients has been clinically shown and is documented in MRI studies. Thus the most promising MS population for a therapy study with HSCT might be patients in early disease stages with an aggressive disease course who do not respond to the approved or applied immunomodulatory or immunosuppressive treatments. Such studies are conducted in the United States (HALT MS) as stated in the comment by Nash et al. The glass may be half full for these patients.

On the other hand the glass appears to be half empty for patients with long-standing, progressive MS and a high EDSS score. The patients included in our study belong to this group. Presumably, in this so-called neurodegenerative phase of disease, attempts to affect the peripheral immune system do not hinder or prevent clinical progression nor do they reverse existing clinical deficits. This has been shown in the transplanted patients examined in our manuscript (Metz et al., 2007), but also for other therapies such as Campath-1, an antibody causing the depletion of T cells (Coles et al., 1999). The continuing cerebral atrophy in MRI studies described after HSCT (Inglese et al., 2004) may have its correlate in the ongoing axonal damage and demyelination after HSCT seen in our study or could have been due to the drugs used for immunoablation as part of the HSCT procedure (Chen et al., 2006).

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/con ... /131/2/e90
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Wed May 05, 2010 7:52 pm

and this is the research performed upon autopsy --

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/con ... 130/5/1254

Autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation fails to stop demyelination and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis

The present study analyses autopsy material from five multiple sclerosis patients who received autologous stem cell transplantation. A total of 53 white matter lesions were investigated using routine and immunohistochemical stainings to characterize the demyelinating activity, inflammatory infiltrates, acutely damaged axons and macrophages/microglial cells. We found evidence for ongoing active demyelination in all of the five patients. The inflammatory infiltrate within the lesions showed only very few T cells and CD8+ cytotoxic T cells dominated the T cell population. B cells and plasma cells were completely absent from the lesions. High numbers of acutely damaged axons were found in active lesion areas. Tissue injury was associated with activated macrophages/microglial cells. The present results indicate that ongoing demyelination and axonal degeneration exist despite pronounced immunosuppression. Our data parallel results from some of the clinical phase I/II studies showing continued clinical disease progression in multiple sclerosis patients with high expanded disability system scores despite autologous stem cell transplantation.
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby scorpion » Thu May 06, 2010 4:45 am

Cheer I really hope that your obsessiveness over CCSVI has not resulted in you hoping that other treatments fail. Your defensive manner makes it kind of appear that way. Sorry that rebooting the immune system led to positive results in some people. That does not mean your appearances on radio shows, blogs, etc. etc. have been in vain. You are right. Rebooting does not seem to have an effect on people who ae diagnosed with ppms. However if you were diagnosed with RRMS, which you are not, you would be happy about the rebooting results. I am glad things are well in your house. Whether it is a result of your husband's surgery or the Copaxone you stated at one point he continues to take everyday I am truly happy for you and you husband.
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 am

I am printing research on Dr. Mark Freedman's autologous stem cell treatment. THis is a thread regarding his treatment, right? The papers I am posting were co-authored by Dr. Mark Freedman-

Patients have a right to read the research:

Brain atrophy after immunoablation and stem cell transplantation in multiple sclerosis

The authors measured brain atrophy in nine patients undergoing immunoablation and autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for multiple sclerosis. From baseline to 1 month after treatment, atrophy was 10 times faster than before treatment. A patient with non-CNS lymphoma showed comparable acute brain atrophy after analogous therapy. These observations suggest that brain atrophy after immunoablation may not be due entirely to the resolution of edema but may be related to chemotoxicity.

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/ab ... 66/12/1935

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Thu May 06, 2010 8:15 am

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Thu May 06, 2010 9:03 am

In the Metz, et al article "Autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation fails to stop demyelination and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis," also all 5 cases examined had progressive MS. And, sadly, as most know, there's not much out there that stops progression once in this phase of the disease.

Also from the same article,
Whether CD8þ T cells survived the severe immunosuppression, or alternatively infiltrated the CNS after transplantation remains unanswered.

So the authors do not know if full immunosuppression was achieved at the time of treatment. This, in contrast to the HiCy protocol, where they actually measure neutrophil levels to determine when the immune system has been fully eliminated.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby chrishasms » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 am

Cheer give up! Just leave the conversation. Leave the frustration to those who want or need it. Glad Jeff is still doing good!
chrishasms
Family Elder

Postby chrishasms » Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 am

I had Hicy w/o any stem cell reintro because your bone marrow already has stem cells. Those alone can rebuild everything w/o needing your own cells.

I have no clue why they use stem cells. Neither did my docs at JH.

I had one little lesion post treatment, the smallest I ever had, it healed, and I have not had one in over 2 years. I have actually had lesion healing.

However, lesions have 0 to do with disability. I know people who have gotten their veins opened with CCSVI a couple of them were even PPMS, who do not post here. They went to local docs and let them try it. No I cannot say because where these docs are located, well I used to live there and they would quit before being found out.

Anyhow the one PPMS woman who was down to moving one hand enough to operate her joystick for her wheel chair, was fed, moved, bathed, and washed by a CNA, well she is now able to feed herself again if someone will cut her food.

That to me is amazing.
chrishasms
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion