premature greying

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
sbr487
Family Elder

premature greying

Post by sbr487 »

I have grayed a bit in last few years and was looking at some info.
I was surprised by this:
What Happens to Make Hair Turn Gray?

The normal process of graying is associated with the process of aging.

Not All Graying of Hair is "Normal"

While we usually associate graying of hair with advancing age, there are a variety of other causes for loss of hair color. For example:

Metabolic conditions such as thyroid dysfunction;
Autoimmune disease such as multiple sclerosis;
Certain viral diseases;
Congenital conditions that often include physical anomalies;
Long-term starvation or vitamin deficiencies; and,
Toxic environmental exposures.
Just wondering if anyone else feels this way ...
TeachX3

Post by TeachX3 »

VERY interesting indeed! I starting turning gray in 6th grade, by the time I was in my early 20's I was almost completely gray (a bit of pepper in there)... I am now 42 and have a full head of gray, it is actually quite pretty and very unique ;)
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Hmmm...interesting. I've never heard about gray hair in relation to MS before. In my extended family, some get gray really early - like in high school - and some get gray really late - like me. I finally stopped yanking out the occasional stray one a few months ago, and I still don't have much. I'm 59.

I have a female cousin 10 years younger who has beautiful, long, pure white hair. :)
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

I was always under the impression that my fatigue and lesions are to blame for that. That is, fatigue and lesions makes me less active physically. We all know that mentally and physically active people tend to be generally healthy. When you are not, kind of rot sets in within the body. But then CCSVI came into picture and I started thinking that my head portion is not getting enough nutrition.
scorpion
Family Elder

Post by scorpion »

Must be that the hair follicles are not getting enough oxygen.. :roll:
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

knew about the thyroid connection, but not that MS was connected to gray hair--to me, all the reasons for the gray hair seem to point to nutritional deficiencies, that could also be underlying cause of the diseases.
Lo
Family Member

Post by Lo »

I started turning grey at 33 and at 42 was completely white. I like it that way. I don't color and keep it short - very low maintenance and looks great according to my buds.
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

People guys in IBT thread commented that their hair quality seems to have improved after starting IBT. Enough oxygenated blood not reaching brain - fits very well in the CCSVI theory
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

on my dad's side my family greys early. my brother is younger than me and is way greyer. no neurological probs that i know of in either (they also weren't vegan for 15 years like i was..).

i have a grey streak top left from someone else's perspective. started about 10 years ago i guess. i have friends my age with no grey, some with grey, and no-one else to my knowledge with ms. can't see a tie-in from here. but i DO believe greying can be affected by a number of diff things not just genetics.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

jimmylegs wrote:on my dad's side my family greys early. my brother is younger than me and is way greyer. no neurological probs that i know of in either (they also weren't vegan for 15 years like i was..).

i have a grey streak top left from someone else's perspective. started about 10 years ago i guess. i have friends my age with no grey, some with grey, and no-one else to my knowledge with ms. can't see a tie-in from here. but i DO believe greying can be affected by a number of diff things not just genetics.
No, I was not saying that MS directly affects hair quality. But the fact that a part of the brain does not get enough nourishment would definitely result in such side effects. I have read somewhere that people can sometimes co relate quality of hair with quality of kidney functioning that it is able to filter properly and influencing the supply of good quality blood to head. It is also well documented that chronic diseases lead to greying (although temporary) of hair ...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

??? are we arguing?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

I have 4 grey hairs, that's it. Most women I know assumed I dyed my hair and I'm 38 in a few months. I have MS nearly 12+ yrs so it hasn't caused greying with me yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

I have learned (no back-up, sorry) that grey hair is due to liver dysfunction. My brother had hepatitis as a kid, and drinks an awful lot, and he is silver at 50. He has been for a while.

I have red hair (r-h have the least number of follicles, blondes the most), and I am sure the top of my head is getting thinner (my wife says not), and I have wondered if the perhaps excessive heat in my head causes me to shed hair. I have no grey, but my eyebrows and points of chin are getting a lot of white.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

It might be tmi but I pulled maybe two in total grays out of my head in the last year but my pubic area is very gray. I don't pull those - might be painful - only my husband sees them.
Marcia

Return to “General Discussion”