Dear MSers, how are your toenails?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ndwannabe
Family Elder

Dear MSers, how are your toenails?

Post by ndwannabe »

Wondering if I am the only one with completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) messed up toenails (fungus.)

Wondering if there is correlation or is it just completely different issue...
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

My legs are messed up, so are my toenails to some extent. Yes, some green rot keeps accumulating. I am thinking it is mainly due to messed up spine that is causing this. I have seen some people reporting that after the procedure their leg edema has vanished (or reduced ... dont remember)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i don't have toenail issues. sometimes fingernail issues but when i'm on top of things with my supplements the problem stays away.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

I have had issues with the "fun-guy" for years now - since before I was dx'd with MS.

I have taken about 5 courses of Lamisil and Sporanox (total) over 10 years.

I feel I never really was able to knock it completely out due to poor circulation in my feet. The second to last time I took Lamisil, I ran out of LDN and you could actually see the ridge in my big toenail (between older healthy and new unhealthy growth) when I stopped taking it!

This last time, I made sure my LDN script would not run out and bingo - no problems! All gone!

I believe that toe fungus problems may related to poor blood flow in the toes because of the way LDN seemed to help the Lamisil work. As I recall now, my problems all began when my foot was run over by a car tire when I tried to stop it from rolling out into the street by putting my foot under it! Do you think that might have caused a vascular issue?

A/C
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
ndwannabe
Family Elder

Post by ndwannabe »

AlmostClever wrote: As I recall now, my problems all began when my foot was run over by a car tire when I tried to stop it from rolling out into the street by putting my foot under it! Do you think that might have caused a vascular issue?

A/C
You know AC, I am not sure...

Thank you all for responding!
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

http://www.jultrasoundmed.org/cgi/conte ... /24/8/1085

Conclusions. We found a significant relationship between onychomycosis and venous insufficiency; therefore, we recommend a routine venous Doppler examination for patients with onychomycosis to diagnose or rule out venous insufficiency.
ndwannabe
Family Elder

Post by ndwannabe »

Terry wrote:http://www.jultrasoundmed.org/cgi/conte ... /24/8/1085

Conclusions. We found a significant relationship between onychomycosis and venous insufficiency; therefore, we recommend a routine venous Doppler examination for patients with onychomycosis to diagnose or rule out venous insufficiency.

Un.Be.Lievable. That's exactly what I have.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

This may be useful information for those people with toe fungus:

In April our local newspaper ran an article about a physician, Dr. Paul Kinsinger, who has created a product for this problem. Because of federal regulations, Kinsinger can't make any curative claims for his cream. But a local urologist who used it offers his testimonial -- over the past 10 to 15 years he had tried almost every topical cream or gel, but not the oral medication for toenail fungus because of the associated risk of possible liver damage. After several weeks of using Dr. Paul's Piggy Paste, his infection cleared up.

The newspaper article said the treatment is typically three months. The cream is carried at about 29 stores in central Illinois; Walgreens stores in central Illinois recently began stocking it. The article also listed a website: www.piggypaste.com -- I have not used this product, I have no connection to it. I just thought it might be of interest to someone here.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Dear MSers, how are your toeneails?

Post by NHE »

My toenails are fine, no fungus. However, my fingernails have longitudinal ridges running down them. I first noticed this a few years ago. They haven't really changed all that much. I still haven't found an answer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, NHE
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

NHE -- I have no remedy for ridges in the fingernail. I seem to recall that many years ago I heard that such ridges correlated with heart disease. Maybe this connection is the result of something to do with circulation? A thorough cardiac exam might be a good idea.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Dear MSers, how are your toenails?

Post by NHE »

Hi Lyndacarol,
Thanks for the reply. I while back I did some searching and didn't see anything related to heart disease. However, one site stated that they were linked to chronic inflammation. If so, I guess that's par for the course. I wonder how many other MS patients have the ridges?

NHE
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

NHE -- You asked: I wonder how many other MS patients have the ridges?
If I look really closely, I can see faint ridges on my fingernails. Circulation problem, I suppose.
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

Toes fine, I've had fingernail ridges since I was a young kid. Always britlle and just plain 'crummy'
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

Just amazing!!!!

It's all about circulation!!!

I believe that everyone is exposed to this fungus. Those with poor circulation can't maintain enough white blood cells(?) in the infected area and lose the battle.

I had a strep infection earlier this year that started near my right ankle. All healed now but same idea - poor circulation in that area of the body. All of my MS symptoms (and others) are/were on my right side - toe fungus, strep infection, leg weakness, foot drop, Optic Neuritis...

Wherever circulation is diminished, there can be problems! Why not the brain?
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein

Return to “General Discussion”