solumedrol for mild/severe exacerbation?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
carolsue
Family Elder

solumedrol for mild/severe exacerbation?

Post by carolsue »

Treatment with solumedrol is supposed shorten an exacerbation and perhaps limit the damage done, but its protective/anti inflammatory effect is temporary and apparently doesn't change the course of the disease. I'm soliciting opinions (of your own or relayed from your doctors) on how bad or "functionally significant" an exacerbation should be to warrant a steroid treatment. When you have had such a treatment (solumedrol, methyprednisone, etc.), how bad were your symptoms?
noddlebean
Family Member

Post by noddlebean »

I was always told and have followed this rule to make sure if I am going to have it, have it done within 1-2hrs start of a relapse occuring. Although I must admit it gets harder as time goes by to pick when a relapse is starting. I always have it if my eye sight is hit and I get verigo. Those two things to me are the worst cause they stop me functioning at work. I was told hit it hard and fast!

For me personally they do work, and I would generally say I have them when my symptoms are too much for me to cope with.

My doctor says I will end up with Osteoporosis anyway if I am in a wheel chair so the steriods aren't going to hurt :? I love my doctor when she gets to the point!

Also I am lucky I have a doctor that will let me have the steroids in the surgery straight into the back of the hand. Slowly that is but at least I don't have to have them by IV over a coupld of hours for 3 days running.

I myself have 1g for 3 consecutive days with no taper but I am sure a lot of others have taper doses.

I stick to my Satin drug now and have opted to have Steroid dose when I have a relapse that knocks me about. Touch wood still going free at 8 mths.

Jilly
Cathy
Family Member

solumedrol

Post by Cathy »

I think this is another are in which Doc's are not always in agreement. I had a 5 day course with my first diagnosed exacerbation-started on betaseron and over the next 6 months got worse with new symptoms-symptoms included difficulty walking, severe spasm, slurred speech, dificulty swallowing, facial pain, tremors. Switched neuro's by this time. New doc treated me with a 3 day 1gm course every month for the next 8 months-I got better every time. Then the next year treated for 6 months. Have not needed it since. By the way, Fosamax or Actinel (spelling) which are used to treat osteoporosis, can also be used to prevent steroid induced osteoporsis-If you take steroids regularly, you should be on this drug-My neuro started my on this after he was involved in a lawsuit for not putting his patient on this to prevent osteoporosis.