anyone have spinabifida occulta?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

anyone have spinabifida occulta?

Postby tara97 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 am

I ask this because I do and I read that 20% of the general population does and most may not know it. It seems to have connections with different neurological disorders and I was wondering if this population overlapped with other neuro illnesses. I was just wondering if over a life time this birth defect could throw us off kilter enough to eventually cause chronic illness.
tara97
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: anyone have spinabifida occulta?

Postby ErikaSlovakia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:00 am

tara97 wrote:I ask this because I do and I read that 20% of the general population does and most may not know it. It seems to have connections with different neurological disorders and I was wondering if this population overlapped with other neuro illnesses. I was just wondering if over a life time this birth defect could throw us off kilter enough to eventually cause chronic illness.

Hi!
I have it - my paper says only spina bifida, so I am not sure about the word occulta. I am 37 now. Doctors found it out when I was 10.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Postby Algis » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spina_bifida

All 4 classifications are described there.

Hope this help :)
Algis
Family Elder

Postby ErikaSlovakia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:17 am

Algis wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spina_bifida

All 4 classifications are described there.

Hope this help :)

Oh thanks, so yes mine is spina bifida occulta. My skin looks nice and yes I suffer from back pain. Even at this moment the pain goes down into my legs but it is not very bad. Sitting on a bus, runing or jumping is worse.
Standing longer or longer walking is a problem as well.
My MS is much bigger problem.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Postby itaska21 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:56 pm

A mutation of A1298c is linked to neural tube defects.. gene testing is worth the time and energy. I take Deplin (prescription form of methylfolate). I did'nt know about this until jan.2009. I have a lot of questions about the correlation between this and MS!
itaska21
Family Member

Return to General Discussion