4-AP: What is happening with this drug?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

4-AP: What is happening with this drug?

Postby adamt » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Ive been readig up on 4-AP (Slow release) and it seems to improve MS symptoms in particular mobility

But the discussions i have found are from years ago .

On the 4-ap companies website: http://www.ampyra.com/home/
it says 4-ap has been available since March 2010.
Has anyone tried or uses this drug?

Thanks
adamt
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Loobie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Mine is due in next week. I will be reporting on how it works.
Loobie
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:49 pm

4-AP is "so last year" 8) , you may want to look at 4-AP-3-MeOH. I know someone else on this board is using it already. 8O

This compound is 10 times more potent when compared with 4-AP and other derivatives in restoring axonal conduction.
http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/103/1/469

I have had 4-AP compounded in the past (over 12 months ago). I am not using it now, as I don't find it as effective as before. It seemed to help me the most when I was in worse condition. Then it was brilliant. Only a minor effect really, but that little difference made the world of difference in making me feel a little less disabled and more normal.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby adamt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:23 am

CureOrBust wrote:4-AP is "so last year" 8) , you may want to look at 4-AP-3-MeOH. I know someone else on this board is using it already. 8O

This compound is 10 times more potent when compared with 4-AP and other derivatives in restoring axonal conduction.

I have had 4-AP compounded in the past (over 12 months ago). I am not using it now, as I don't find it as effective as before. It seemed to help me the most when I was in worse condition. Then it was brilliant. Only a minor effect really, but that little difference made the world of difference in making me feel a little less disabled and more normal.

do you know how i can get hold of some in the UK?

Thanks
adamt
Family Elder

Postby Brainteaser » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:10 am

Any further info on 4-AP-3-MeOH?

It would be good to get feedback from the person on TIMS who is using it.

I note that reports don't say it is 10 times more 'powerful' than 4-AP, but 10 times more 'potent' - this could mean simply, that you need to use less of it for the same 'hit', rather than you will have significantly more flexibility.

Phil
Brainteaser
Family Elder

4-AP

Postby UWE59 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:25 am

Hi,
I´m in contact with Jim on this board. I start 4-AP this week with up to 4x5 mg/day.
Never heard before about 4-AP-3-MeOH, but it sounds interesting.
My question is, if 4-AP-3MeOH is better than 4-AP, WHY it`s not in AMPYRA (or is it ??)

By the way...
- In Germany you get 4-AP wthout prescription. You have to go only to a pharmacy to let produce 5mg capsules.
Kind regards UWE
UWE59
Getting to Know You...

Postby L » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:15 am

adamt wrote:
CureOrBust wrote:4-AP is "so last year" 8) , you may want to look at 4-AP-3-MeOH. I know someone else on this board is using it already. 8O

do you know how i can get hold of some in the UK?

Thanks

Ask your neurologist to prescribe it for you!
L
Family Elder

Postby jay123 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:53 am

It's called 'ampyra'. It costs $1,000's per month (before co-pays) compared to $90 for compounded 4-ap, but it is a slow release version.
I have been on it a few days and my legs do feel a little better.
My doctor (who is a ccsvi believer) put me on this but is hoping to get me in the 'anti-lingo' trial. That one looks real promising to replace mylien.
jay123
Family Elder

Postby AlmostClever » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:33 am

Asked my nuero to prescribe it for me at last month's appt. She hadn't heard of it and consulted another who did an Ampyra trial - he hadn't heard of it either...(she had no hang-ups whatsoever about trying 4-AP or LDN)

So either it's the same as Ampyra and these guys just aren't aware or I just dunno what to tell you.

I did get a script for Ampyra and yes it's damn expensive. Apparently the pharm company needs to call you before completing the script. Haven't got my call so I think I'll go stir it up some and see what's up...

I'll report back if I actually get some!

A/C
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Postby jay123 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm

AlmostClever wrote:Asked my nuero to prescribe it for me at last month's appt. She hadn't heard of it and consulted another who did an Ampyra trial - he hadn't heard of it either...(she had no hang-ups whatsoever about trying 4-AP or LDN)

So either it's the same as Ampyra and these guys just aren't aware or I just dunno what to tell you.

I did get a script for Ampyra and yes it's damn expensive. Apparently the pharm company needs to call you before completing the script. Haven't got my call so I think I'll go stir it up some and see what's up...

I'll report back if I actually get some!

A/C

If your neuro is that out of touch with new drugs it's time for a new neuro!

Not saying the drug is great, but any competent neuro should have known about it, it's been news for about a year as it went through it's approvals.
jay123
Family Elder

Postby AlmostClever » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:28 am

jay123 wrote:If your neuro is that out of touch with new drugs it's time for a new neuro!

Not saying the drug is great, but any competent neuro should have known about it, it's been news for about a year as it went through it's approvals.

The thought did cross my mind...

After my Lib! If I'm better, I want to see the look on her face!!!
:lol:
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Postby jay123 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Don't know for a fact, but I have heard great things about the ms clinic at Baylor - that's in Houston, right?
jay123
Family Elder

Postby AlmostClever » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:13 pm

jay123 wrote:Don't know for a fact, but I have heard great things about the ms clinic at Baylor - that's in Houston, right?

PM
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Postby AlmostClever » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:01 pm

So does anyone know where more can be found about 4-AP-3-MeOH?

something more than pig studies?

Thx
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion