cancer drug

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

cancer drug

Postby scorpion » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:51 am

I am not sure how this differs from drugs like Campath but it sounded fairly interesting...

<shortened url>
scorpion
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby AlmostClever » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Quote:

"To make this discovery, scientists used two groups of mice—the first treated with bortezomib and the second with saline"

Do mice experience placebo? lol
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Postby scorpion » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:29 pm

huh?
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:02 pm

I don't know, but from my limited understanding it sounds pretty similar to Campath. It looks like the difference might be, whereas Campath, Rituxan, and other MABs, are actually antibodies that bind to T and B cells, this drug causes T cell death by inhibiting NF Kappa B activation (whatever that is). I guess the NF Kappa B is involved in activating inflammatory T-cells, so maybe that's how it leaves "good" T-cells unharmed.
patientx
Family Elder

Re: cancer drug

Postby NHE » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 am

patientx wrote:I don't know, but from my limited understanding it sounds pretty similar to Campath. It looks like the difference might be, whereas Campath, Rituxan, and other MABs, are actually antibodies that bind to T and B cells, this drug causes T cell death by inhibiting NF Kappa B activation (whatever that is). I guess the NF Kappa B is involved in activating inflammatory T-cells, so maybe that's how it leaves "good" T-cells unharmed.

NF kappa B = Nuclear Factor kappa B. It's a transcription factor. When activated in cells, it goes into the nucleus and turns on the transcription of proinflammatory genes.

Several supplements inhibit NFkB such as EGCG, curcumin, and R-lipoic acid.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby patientx » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 am

NHE wrote:Several supplements inhibit NFkB such as EGCG, curcumin, and R-lipoic acid.

NHE

Interesting. Do you have some research that you could point to about these things inhibiting NFkB?
patientx
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:42 am

patientx wrote:
NHE wrote:Several supplements inhibit NFkB such as EGCG, curcumin, and R-lipoic acid.

NHE

Interesting. Do you have some research that you could point to about these things inhibiting NFkB?

Jeff's been on EGCG for 3 years. As well as inhibiting NFkB, it is a BBB permeable chelator. Here's a paper on the NFkB affect:
http://jmm.sgmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/56/8/1042.pdf

Check out Charite (Berlin) studies on EGCG in pwMS. Impressive results.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but did the Charite already publish data on the EGCG trial?

Thanks!
--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Frank
Family Elder

Postby NHE » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:45 am

Here's an overview of some of the cell signalling pathways involved with NF-kB. More info related to the specific supplements can be found using Pubmed.

NHE

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion