The Truth About Drug Companies in the N Y Review of Books

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

The Truth About Drug Companies in the N Y Review of Books

Postby L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:19 pm

It's years old but I thought this editorial might be of interest (although possibly nothing new to people)

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archive ... es/?page=1
L
Family Elder

Postby tara97 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:00 am

"the matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind us from the truth"
the truth is that the FDA is run by washington that is run by politicians that are bought by lobbyists who are sent by big corporations who are run by very very savey business men who would not have survived in such a competative arena had they not shown the ability to make a profit at any cost.
once it is known that there is a profit in the health care system we now have then it is known that there is profit in keeping us sick.
no one from mcdonalds to pfizer to the people who make tongue depressors want us to know the correlation between nutrition and our wellbeing. we evolved from material that came from the earth our illnesses are caused by imbalences of this material and our bodies do not know what to do with man made chemisty anymore than the ocean knows what to do with all that plastic.
how can we have had the atomic bomb 70 years ago, walked on the moon 40 and yet they still cant figure these illnesses out. bull.
tara97
Family Elder

Postby sbr487 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:08 am

tara97 wrote:how can we have had the atomic bomb 70 years ago, walked on the moon 40 and yet they still cant figure these illnesses out. bull.

Its an open secret that Drug companies will not fund any research that can find cure (permanent). The study to find gene mutations in lung and skin cancer was sponsored by a charity org (Singer institute).
Why? because if gene correction method works than we might have cure for cancer.

Would I blame pharma industry for not funding it?
In an ideal world, yes. But we know we don't live in an ideal world.

Who do we blame for the situation?
Its the govt which has left R&D work to private sector and has no plan about situations like these ...

No policy is perfect but govt needs to monitor and react quickly to situations to correct imperfect policies ...

I am baffled that there are ministries for health and they cant see such a straight forward conflict of interest and do something about it.

Lets see what future holds for us ...
sbr487
Family Elder

Postby L » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:59 pm

sbr487 wrote:
tara97 wrote:how can we have had the atomic bomb 70 years ago, walked on the moon 40 and yet they still cant figure these illnesses out. bull.

Its an open secret that Drug companies will not fund any research that can find cure (permanent). The study to find gene mutations in lung and skin cancer was sponsored by a charity org (Singer institute).
Why? because if gene correction method works than we might have cure for cancer.

Would I blame pharma industry for not funding it?
In an ideal world, yes. But we know we don't live in an ideal world.

Who do we blame for the situation?
Its the govt which has left R&D work to private sector and has no plan about situations like these ...

No policy is perfect but govt needs to monitor and react quickly to situations to correct imperfect policies ...

I am baffled that there are ministries for health and they cant see such a straight forward conflict of interest and do something about it.

Lets see what future holds for us ...

A problem relating to genetic cures being that companies holding patent rights relating to those genes, and them alone, can conduct the research.

Patent issues are a curse, there's 'evergreening' of patents (http://www.expresspharmaonline.com/20051115/market04.shtml) , there's the purchasing of the patents of potential competitors in order to prevent a product ever seeing the light of day..

When innovation occurs with the pooling of resources it's a great shame that there is so much legislation which prevents this.

When I was first diagnosed six years ago (two years after my first symptoms) I felt sure that a cure was five years away, little did I know that no one was really looking outside of the odd under-funded university..
L
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion