Cannabis may relieve chronic nerve pain

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Cannabis may relieve chronic nerve pain

Post by MSUK »

Smoking cannabis from a pipe can significantly reduce chronic pain in patients with damaged nerves, a study suggests.

A small study of 23 people also showed improvements with sleep and anxiety.

Writing in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, the researchers said larger studies using inhaler-type devices for cannabis were needed.

UK experts said the pain relief seen was small but potentially important, and more investigation was warranted. ... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1815
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

This is an absolute no doubter to me. I will only smoke in the later evening since I can't be high at work (I would, but I couldn't do my job!), and it also takes a little leg strength away. But I'll tell you, it's absolute sweet relief from that pain which just ratchets up each passing hour as the work day plods on. Especially in my legs, calves and knees. 2 hits on the bowl and I almost perceptibly go "Ahhhhhh". It's amazing and I know of nothing that even comes close. Since NSAIDS don't touch nerve pain, this is it, but it's also very, very effective for me. There have been times that I have actually almost cried it felt so good. And although I do enjoy the euphoria, it's slight when you only take two hits. And I don't even really know, or care for that matter, whether it's that I just don't give a shit because of the buzz, or whether it calms stuff down and makes you actually feel less pain. The net result is markedly less perceived pain.

The other thing which makes me think it's not just a 'psychological masking', is that those times when I have felt like I was literally vibrating like my CNS was just charged; it takes that away too. AND when I was in the hospital and had all the pain associated with my banged up spinal accessory nerve, the MJ was better than morphine or percocet; to me anyway.

I absolved myself of the guilt that I was actually still feeling about it being illegal. It simply works way too well for me to care about that. I think the illegality is political anyway, and what I think of politicians being political is a whole 'nother story.
viper123

burnable

Post by viper123 »

:) 1 for my n pain 1 for me
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

only tried once with a couple of other girls who use it for pain relief. Seemed to do the trick. Never done it otherwise and would have no clue where to get it though.
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

squiffy, mj can actually relieve spasm, per Martin Randal, MD.
loobie, lucky! i haven't gotten a buzz from mj in more than a decade! i use it for the leg pain. don't feel guilty for using medicine.
for pwms, in canada there is a throat spray (sativex). in the usa there is a synthetic pill (Marinol). give me the herb. i am looking into a non-burning method of delivery (http://www.aromed.com). :)
FastBenz
Family Member

Post by FastBenz »

Tried it for the pain and it works well. I hate smoke though. :(
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

Would other ways of taking it work for pain relief? Like putting it in food?
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Yes, but you need more. The only way I keep talking about, but doing nothing about 8O , is using a vaporizer. In food is very effective, but you plow through it.
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

Hi every one,
I just want to correct my error. The doctor I referred to is actually Dr. Randall Shapiro. He is an expert on spasticity and has an ms center in Colorado.
Mirry
Family Member

Post by Mirry »

I would be concerned about smoking it. If you could put it in a brownie that might be better. I hear it gives you the munchies so knowing my luck I would put on 20 lbs.
ppicklee
Family Member

Post by ppicklee »

I have done the mj in herb form, then the spray form also. But truth be told I did not like where it put my head space. Guess I am too much of a control freak. Ya think?? :-)
Loobie
Family Elder

Re: .

Post by Loobie »

ppicklee wrote:I have done the mj in herb form, then the spray form also. But truth be told I did not like where it put my head space. Guess I am too much of a control freak. Ya think?? :-)
Over time that goes away and you can function fine with a small buzz. At first you laugh at everything and eat everything in sight, but then you settle in and get used to it. Now if you're ghanga man and smoke an entire bowl full, well then you're using more than you need!
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

Ok on wednesday I was in so much pain I caved and got some - it was so much easier than I thought it would be! It really made a difference to the pain and spasms. I don't think I am getting buzzed but I am only using as little as possible to take the edge of the pain.

Eating 3 toffee crisps after it is not going to help my diet and I suspect a bowlful of grapes won't be the same. I'm definitely giong to have learn baalance.

On an entertaining note, my mum came over and taught me how to roll a proper joint! She used her 'teacher voice' and everything.
JamiLea

Post by JamiLea »

I hope everyone is acquiring cannabis legally. Get a license hmmm?