Facial numbness

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Stabilo
Family Member

Facial numbness

Post by Stabilo »

Hey everyone, I have had facial numbness really bad in the left side for the past 2 weeks, among a string of other symptoms. It was bad enough for me to go on high dose prednisone (just finishing today) but just wondering if anyone has had the facial numbness, difficulty speaking etc. and how long it lasted for you? My GP ruled out bell's palsy last week but just want to klnow if it's worth going back soon to see if I can figure this out. thanks
flautenmusik
Family Member

Post by flautenmusik »

I had total facial and tongue numbness on the right side of my face. I am a flute player, so it was very frustrating to me. Even after IV steroids, it did not subside, but after about two months, it went away completely on its own.

Good luck!
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

hopefully the same happens for me! thank you! oooh flutes huh? very cool
swelves

Post by swelves »

I had facial numbness. It happened after I worked long hours. After having a good rest & relaxation for a few days, no more numbness then.

Good luck.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

I've had it sporadically--very high dose B vitamins clears it for me.
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

is there a limit of b vitamins I am allowed to take??? I'm not very brushed up on them yet!
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

For me, the facial numbness is and or was the begining of my dx. All in one day, my speech slurred and it looked like I had a stroke. The left side of my face went numb. It lasted about 1 month before it disappeared. It was VERY fustrating... Everyone thought I had been drinking.
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

I am relating completely to that! I was walking to pick my daughter up from school on Monday and accompanying the facial numbness and slurring my balance is off quite a bit, and I actually had a police officer pull over and ask if I'd had a few. I was so insulted and felt like blowing up, but after speaking to him for a few minutes I could tell by the look on his face that he felt awful. As if we need that on top of the insecurities we already feel :( I am hoping the feeling in my face is coming back as I can feel an itch deep in the skin, which I'm hoping is a signal of increased blood flow!!!! It's been almost 2 weeks now....sooo frustrating! Do you experience the facial numbness often???
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

Not since the initial onset...... Thank the Lord!
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

I still have it really bad unfortunately but it is showing signs of improvement, I can feel a dull ache in my tooth, and of course have no health insurance, but currently looking for a dentist to check it out, but I have also been reading about Lymes disease and am really considering talkting to my doc about getting tested
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

stabilo you can take a high potency B100 complex with each meal and at bed time for one week, see how that goes.

in the longer term it is not recommended to take more than 100mg/d of B6.

also in my experience excess folic acid (ie 1000 per day vs the usual 400) can cause a strange 'phantom' (unscratchable) itch.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Facial numbness

Post by jimmylegs »

update: i got the phantom itch from folic acid only when i was deficient in other nutrients. once my levels in a few things were topped up i realized i could take 1000mg of folic acid with no phantom itch. must be a cofactor thing. i had folic acid tested when i had the phantom itch because it was the only thing in my regimen that had changed at the time. levels were sky high.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “General Discussion”