Do you have memory problems?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Do you think you have suffered memory loss from MS?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 17

David1949
Family Elder

Do you have memory problems?

Post by David1949 »

I've heard that MS can cause memory problems. I think I have that but its hard to say because, well we don't remember what we don't remember. So how would we remember what we forgot? But there seem to be frequent occassions when my wife or my daughters will mention something that we did in the last few years and I have no recollection of it at all. It's as if the slate was wiped clean.

So do you think you have suffered memory loss from MS?
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

I have an excellent memory of past events; but have great deals with short-term memory; like I was about to do something; but cant remember what... It is not too much an handicap; I use to fill sticky notes (virtual) on my screen.

But I voted "yes" because I think it is a big part of our memory "system"...
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

yup, quite definitely. long-term memory does not seem too bad, but...
when i say i forget things, folks tell me to "write it down.' only trouble is, by the time i get a writing implement in hand, i've already forgotten why i want it!
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

That is my biggest fear... :x I am not as sharp as I was and I sure practice my brain as much as I can...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

wanted to say i don't remember for a lame joke. the answer really is, i used to have memory problems, but not any more.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
maynaka
Family Elder

Post by maynaka »

I have never experienced any memory or cognitive problems. All my issues are physical.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

@maynaka: this is worth notice; thank you to remind me (no punt intended). My short-memory problem start to appear after my EDSS reached 7 or something; my very first problem were

- and still are -

Physical.
maynaka
Family Elder

Post by maynaka »

David,

I recently started taking Acetyl L Carnitine as a recommended supplement for a program by Terry Wahls(diet, electrical stimulation and supplements). It is suppose to enhance alertness and mental focus.

My husband started taking it and has noticed an improvement in just a few weeks. He's stressed and overwhelmed at work and thought it's given him more clarity.

Perhaps our resident expert, JL could weigh in with her thoughts. I've learned much just from reading her posts.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

sure :)
two things have helped in a way that i definitely noticed: one, gingko biloba. two, zinc.
i think the zinc was more fundamentally helpful and that the gingko biloba acted as a temporary band-aid solution.
there's literature out there on the role of zinc and blood flow.
here's one interesting abstract:
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/2 ... 211932.php

there are other nutrients out there that are meant to be good for cognition. b-complex is one example. i did have low b vitamins initially, and i do supplement them now, but compared to gingko or zinc, i've never felt the same way after taking b-complex in terms of really getting a noticeable effect.

HTH!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.