What kind of doctor should i see?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
WantingToKnow
Getting to Know You...

What kind of doctor should i see?

Post by WantingToKnow »

Hello :) I have a question that I would appreciate if somebody help me with. I'm 23 years old, and four years ago, I had headaches and my eyes would seem like they were going left and right quickly, but wasnt noticeable to anybody except me when I would focus on an small object for a little while, almost like nystagmus, but not noticeable to anybody else. I also had twitches, and felt jerky sometimes. And sometimes, like if I went to pick up something with my arm, my arm kinda was a bit quicker than I tried to move it. Also, i got a strange feeling sometimes, like a dropping sensation on a roller coaster. Oh, my eyes also took longer to focus on things that were further away. Especially if I was texting or something, then look up at something far away. And my eyes felt weird a lot too. So I went to the optometrist and he looked under the microscope, and said he saw that my eyes were moving left and right a bit. But he said everything looked fine. Then I went to a neurologist, and he said he thought I was getting migraines without the bad pain, just the effects of them, but he ordered an MRI just to be sure, and the MRI was good. All the symptoms went away after a couple months. But now, four years later, all the symptoms are back, except for the headache. Who do I go to about this? Does it sound like MS? But I had a clear MRI? Do I go to a certain kind of eye doctor maybe? Thanks for the help! :)
Last edited by WantingToKnow on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: What kind of doctor should i see?

Post by Cece »

Maybe start with your regular doctor and go from there?
WantingToKnow
Getting to Know You...

Post by WantingToKnow »

Thanks for the reply Cece. :) Its appreciated. Does any body else have any suggestions? :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i'll get back to you!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
WantingToKnow
Getting to Know You...

Post by WantingToKnow »

Thanks for the reply. :) Maybe Ophthamologist? Or neuro ophthamologist? neurologist?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

okay here goes.

my focus is on prevention by ensuring optimal health. if you are worried about early symptoms that might be MS, the first thing you can do is some easy bloodwork to see if your levels are the same as 'healthy controls' or the typical ms patient.

personally i presented my doctor early on with a stack of scientific research abstracts, easily compiled from scholar.google.com, to justify my request for nutritional testing.

in your case i am seeing a lot of links to magnesium issues so that would be an easy first go-to. magnesium is among the many things that are low in ms patients.

here are some links to previously posted info on magnesium:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-140459.html#140459
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-140464.html#140464

your homework ;)
go to scholar.google.com
enter migraine magnesium and check out the list of studies returned.
then try nystagmus magnesium.
finally, magnesium spasticity (twitching etc).
read some of the abstracts.
print a few and take them to your regular GP.
ask for a requisition for a serum magnesium test.
don't listen to them when they tell you 'it's normal'.

the normal range is not optimal.
my doc's normal range is 0.70 to 1.10 mmol/L.
patients are suboptimal at 0.90 or lower. (i will point you to that specific study too if you like)
i have had magnesium related problems when my level was .88, and at .94 i feel fine. strange but true :)

once you have that answer, you'll be able to work on next steps :)

hope that helps!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “General Discussion”