Parasthesia/Numbness help?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
koopico
Family Member

Parasthesia/Numbness help?

Post by koopico »

I realize that everyone's different, but has anyone taken anything for parasthesia that actually helped the symptoms go away? I've had some numbness in my left hand for about four months, and more in the index finger--which affects my grip. My doctor suggested trying Tegretol/carbamazepine first, then maybe Neurontin (gabapentin?). Generic Tegretol is the only thing that works if I get neuralgia/nerve pain in my extremities. But not working for this so far, and is making me feel terrible. Guess trying Sol-Medurol would be next...? My doctor doesn't like to prescribe steroids unless the symptom is very severe. But I'll push it, if need be!

Any suggestions? Thanks!
koopico
Family Member

Post by koopico »

Bueller?
:)

Just checkin' back again...
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

My neuro has always said he as stuff to help pain but not for numbness.
The only thing that kinda worked for my numbness was Wheldon antibiotic protocol but I had to stop it due to liver enzymes becoming really raised. (then all went numb again once I stopped.
koopico
Family Member

Post by koopico »

LR1234 wrote:My neuro has always said he as stuff to help pain but not for numbness.
The only thing that kinda worked for my numbness was Wheldon antibiotic protocol but I had to stop it due to liver enzymes becoming really raised. (then all went numb again once I stopped.
Of course, right?
Thanks for responding--I appreciate it!
indigoinmotion
Family Member

Post by indigoinmotion »

in the same boat. haven't found a solution yet, either. : (
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

koopica:

Have you tried Neurontin before?

I think docs like to be conservative with Solumedrol since it can hurt bone density (if I remember correctly).
koopico
Family Member

Post by koopico »

Indigo, so sorry to hear you're in the same boat. I really hope we both get lucky and get rid of this!
Usually numbness flare-ups go away in a few months for me, but this situation felt different.
About a year and half ago, I had mild numbness on my leg, and a feeling that a light bands/gloves were around the front of my feet; numbness on the leg went away, foot problem never did. Ugh!

Patient X, I'm actually going to try Neurontin next. I didn't know that about Sol-Medurol and bones--I need to research that more. Thanks so much for the suggestion and the info!
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

koopico wrote:Patient X, I'm actually going to try Neurontin next. I didn't know that about Sol-Medurol and bones--I need to research that more. Thanks so much for the suggestion and the info!
That side effect of Solumedrol was one I remember the MS nurse mentioning, when she was explaining why there's a limit to the number of times you should get it. But there are other side effects from long term use:
link

Not to say the Solumedrol shouldn't be taken if the relapse is bad enough.

On the Neurontin, that's what they suggested for me when I was experiencing burning pain, though I never did try it (I just rode it out). I'd be interested to know how (or if) it works for numbness.
koopico
Family Member

Post by koopico »

Patientx, thanks for the link! I'm going to look up more info today. And I agree--if it's a really severe issue, you have to do what you have to do.

I'll let you know if I have any luck with Neurontin. The only time I'll take something for flare-ups is when I get neuralgia/nerve pain in the extremities. Tried neurontin once for that many years ago, with no luck. Tegretol actually works for that (for me) in about a week, although the side effects bother me a lot more now. This is the first time I tried Tegretol for something other than the nerve pain, and no go.

Still holding out a small glimmer of hope that this t will go away on it's own.
So we'll see--fingers crossed!

:)

Return to “General Discussion”