WEIGHT LOSS TROUBLES

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Stabilo
Family Member

WEIGHT LOSS TROUBLES

Post by Stabilo »

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone else has trouble losing weight?? Any diets that are safe for me to try? I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism since I was 19, and am on the proper dosage of synthroid. I am also on Copaxone, but haven't noticed that affecting it (not gaining weight). Could it be preventing me from losing weight? I am so frustrated as I drink lots of water and don't eat junk very often.......I am limited in the physical exercise I can do but do try to hit the treadmill a few times a week......so frustrating!!!!!!!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

If you follow the MS Recovery Diet or the Best Bet Diet, you will probably loose weight. They both eliminate all dairy ,wheat, and fatty foods. These diets may also help you keep your ms under control. Go to direct-ms.org for lots of info on the best bet diet. The MS Recovery diet book is also excellent.
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

Thanks Tzootsi! I will look into both! Do you follow any of the diets you mentioned??
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

My wife, who has a mild case of ms, has been on the MS Recovery Diet for about 2 1/2 years. Her nightly leg spasms went away after a few months on the diet as did much of her heat intolerance. She was never too over weight, but she did loose about 20 pounds on this diet. Cutting out cheese, fatty foods, bread and pastries will make you loose weight - guaranteed!
The diet is a little tricky at first, but things like rice milk, rice pasta, and gluten free bread are a big help. She now has to eat nuts and avocados to keep her from loosing too much weight!
koopico
Family Member

Re: WEIGHT LOSS TROUBLES

Post by koopico »

Stabilo wrote:Hi all! I was wondering if anyone else has trouble losing weight?? Any diets that are safe for me to try? I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism since I was 19, and am on the proper dosage of synthroid. I am also on Copaxone, but haven't noticed that affecting it (not gaining weight). Could it be preventing me from losing weight? I am so frustrated as I drink lots of water and don't eat junk very often.......I am limited in the physical exercise I can do but do try to hit the treadmill a few times a week......so frustrating!!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat--REALLY frustrating! I also have really bad knees, so along with being constantly tired--exercise is tough! But we're doing our best, right? I generally eat pretty well, but still need to work on my diet--maybe cut a few things out. I hope we both make some progress!
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

Koopico,

It is FRUSTRATING! I have been kicking myself in the butt for not getting fit when I was more capable of exercise! Oh well as long as we try we will succeed - even if we don't reach what we'd ultimately like to! LOL
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

Become a vegan! I have never met an over weight vegan.

Good luck whatever you choose to do..
globab
Family Member

Post by globab »

Well for me things took a turn for the better..... i started copaxone feb 10.. and after a while started losing weight, thinking it was the drug, to later shed 45lbs through out the summer, and to find out it is something different....
however, how much over weight are you? maybe you dont have enough weight to lose.....
my dh joined simply for life.... and lost 36 lbs in 8 weeks... it is clean eating... very healthy foods...... lots of fruit and veggies, chicken and fish..... worth the try for a short time......
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

I'm at least 30 pounds overweight, most of which is pregnancy weight that I never lost....my youngest is now 4 and I feel like there is no excuse!! Going crazy though trying to get it outta here lol. Thanks for the suggestions. What was it globab if you don't mind me asking that caused you to shed so much weight??? Simply for life....is that American??? I am in Canada.
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

L wrote:Become a vegan! I have never met an over weight vegan.

hahaha thanks for the suggestion, but I love the red meat unfortunately lol!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Stabilo wrote:
L wrote:Become a vegan! I have never met an over weight vegan.

hahaha thanks for the suggestion, but I love the red meat unfortunately lol!
Uh-oh - red meat, because of it's high saturated fats, are very much frowned upon by nearly every ms diet, including the well known Swank Diet. Dr Swank saw many ms patients remain stable by merely eliminating most saturated fats. He actually did his own trials on real patients back in the '60's. However, I believe an occasional serving of GRASS FED red meat may be ok, since it's higher in omega-3 and lower in saturated fats.
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

Tzootsi,

I should have mentioned that I eat ONLY grass fed red meat, as I purchase it from relatives in Saskatchewan who run a cattle farm. They butcher it themselves and I know that the cows aren't fed by products and such. I also should have mentioned that while I love it I don't eat it much (once a week, maybe twice if I'm feeling like it) I just couldn't give it up all together.....(I could but not easily)

I was looking into some of the ms diets and I noticed some are dairy free......call this a stupid question but according to my 1% milk jug there is 45% of the average persons daily value of Vitamin D in 1 cup.......isn't that a good thing for us msers?? Curious as to why eliminating dairy would help.....any insight??
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Just about every ms diet eliminates dairy and gluten. Many also eliminate legumes, yeast and eggs. I'm not a scientist, but this is what I've read:
It is thought that dairy can play havoc with the immune system thru molecular mimicry. Molecules of dairy may cross thru your gut into your bloodstream, where it is attacked by the immune system. Apparently, molecules of dairy resemble molecules of myelin, and so the immune system, once activated may also attack myelin. Countries with high rates of MS also have high dairy consumption - may be a coincidence, who knows.
The small amount of vitamin D in a glass of milk can easily be replaced by a vitamin pill, or 1/2 hour of good sunlight (only in the summer in northern climates).
koopico
Family Member

Post by koopico »

Stabilo wrote:Koopico,

It is FRUSTRATING! I have been kicking myself in the butt for not getting fit when I was more capable of exercise! Oh well as long as we try we will succeed - even if we don't reach what we'd ultimately like to! LOL
I ALWAYS give myself a kick for the same reason--if only I would've gotten in great shape when I was capable of it! Aargh! Guess we just have to keep at it Stabilo! :D
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: WEIGHT LOSS TROUBLES

Post by ElliotB »

L wrote:
Become a vegan! I have never met an over weight vegan.

Actually it is easy to be a vegan and be over weight because of the high carbohydrate content in the diet

Uh-oh - red meat, because of it's high saturated fats, are very much frowned upon by nearly every ms diet, including the well known Swank Diet. Dr Swank saw many ms patients remain stable by merely eliminating most saturated fats. He actually did his own trials on real patients back in the '60's. However, I believe an occasional serving of GRASS FED red meat may be ok, since it's higher in omega-3 and lower in saturated fats.

Actually, eating a diet high in meat and eliminating carbs, wheat, nuts, legumes and dairy will GUARANTEE weight loss. I am currently following a diet and is mainly red meat, but only 100% grass meat. 100% grass fed meat has perfectly balanced fats that are extremely healthy, as good for you as wild caught salmon and tuna, which are recommended for those with MS because of their high Omega 3 content.. And although virtually every MS diet says NO to meats and other high saturated fat foods, which I agree, they make no mention of 100% grass fed meats which are high in Omega 3 fat and other healthy fats, and perfectly balanced for optimum health and as healthy for you (maybe healthier) as wild caught salmon and tuna. I have more energy than at any time in my life and have been feeling noticeably better, and continue to improve.

I am following the REAL DIET OF MAN, which basically is:

A. Each food item consumed must be low glycemic. (High glycemic foods are foreign to body function and cause fungal issues that negatively impact the body.)
B. Each food item consumed must not contribute to the Omega-3 deficit. (This is critical for a strong immune system.)
C. Each food item consumed must provide 90% or more of the nutrients required for optimal body function. 100% is best. (Why eat foods that are empty?)

For those interested in complete details:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/grass- ... ery-simple

I feel like a living science experiment because I am going against popular diet beliefs. But after extensive research, I believe a diet high in 100% grass fed meats with the elimination of just about everything else, especially grains, may be the key to good health for those with diseases of inflammation.

Also, if you are going to start consuming grass fed meats, ONLY buy those that say 100% grass fed.