spasticity

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
elliberato
Family Member

spasticity

Post by elliberato »

Help!!! my stiffness and pain has gotten so bad i cannot walk!!
Baclofen, motrin, xanax, valium, nothing helps!!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

magnesium

Post by jimmylegs »

hi what's your serum magnesium level? normal range is 0.70-1.10 mmol/L. actual minimum for optimal status is 0.90, according to a useful study. personally, i have found that i can feel the difference between magnesium in the .8-.9 range and magnesium status above .9 mmol/L.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
elliberato
Family Member

Post by elliberato »

great question...homepath has me on mg zyme. maybe its not enough?

the only thin i could find on my records was this...

magnesium, rbc 3.7
tsh, 3rd generation 1.30

how do you obtain that .9 status? what do you take and how often?
thanks
MS_HOPE
Family Elder

Post by MS_HOPE »

elliberato, if you're female, you might explore the possibility of taking natural (NOT synthetic) hormones, available by prescription in the US. Based on the research of Dr. Rhonda Voskuhl in California, and my personal MS history and experience, each evening I'm taking 8 mg estriol/100 mg progesterone in a slow-release capsule. Available from compounding pharmacies. Prescribed by open-minded, natural-leaning doctor.

I've found that my spasticity, stiffness and achiness have very significantly lessened since starting these hormones.

I'm sorry if you're a male, and this information will be of no use to you!

Best of luck.

MS_HOPE
CCSVI:  Making Sense of MS
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

el, i'll see if i can find to compare but basically two different tests are involved - rbc mg is good but the .91 number comes from a serum mg test. i'll have a dig around see if i can find anything like a target for rbc mg in the literature :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
elliberato
Family Member

Post by elliberato »

THANKS ALL. any info would be great. Interestingly when I wake in the middle of the night I can walk to the bathroom. Back to bed and by morning I am so stiff again its back to sitting. Did I mention ms sucks?

El
42 yr male
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

El--I think your observation of your ability to walk at night, "Interestingly when I wake in the middle of the night I can walk to the bathroom. Back to bed and by morning I am so stiff again its back to sitting." is TREMENDOUSLY significant!

I recall someone else at this website posted a similar experience – unfortunately, I cannot remember who it was. Perhaps he will come forward and identify himself?

I am impressed with the rapidity of the change in your symptom; it shows me that a dramatic improvement is possible no matter how severe the symptoms.

SOMETHING changes in your body while you sleep – what changes while we sleep? For one thing, in normal people the insulin level goes down when they are fasting overnight; but, when tested, my fasting serum insulin levels are always elevated. Hmm… Severe calorie restriction has been reported to reduce MS symptoms – I would guess that those people with starvation or severe calorie restriction have low insulin levels.

Cortisol levels change too with periods of light and dark, i.e., circadian rhythm. High cortisol levels result in high glucose levels, which then trigger high insulin levels.

What other substances change as we sleep? Please offer your ideas, people.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

strange, yesterday i posted some info on this thread, from a diff machine, and it's not showing up on this one today.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

I think TIMS crashed its database and that we have an earlier backup restored - I (and have seen few others) also have posts that 'disappeared' and am not gonna retype all :P Too bad
elliberato
Family Member

weird

Post by elliberato »

lynda...it makes no sense. I can wake up at midnight and be loose as a goose. Sometimes i will stay up for several hours just to enjoy it. Knowing its the middle of the night and that I will not be able to function without sleep i go badck to bed, only to wake about 4 or 5 hours later with severe clonus, extensor flexor spams, the tightest back and quads in the industry, and the whole ball of wax.

Recently my MRV showed vein blockages of about 75%, which I went thru an unsuccessful liberation, so that isnt a viable explanation. My veins are blocked but I am better in the middle of the night when they are being used while laying down???

My neuro tells me he has heard of this before and feels that its due to the relaxation and calmness. whatever!

I think I will go back to bed. Its 11 am and my back is being squeezed so hard its like being in a vise while i sit at my desk. Oh and by the way. I am ready for that sudden dissapearance of symptoms at anytime. Four years and still sliding...the wrong way...
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

Yesterday, I had to stay wake till 6 o' clock in the morning. I felt normal and I measured my body's temperature. It was 35.5 (Centigrade) instead of the normal 36.6 C. Perhaps it is the improved conduction of the intact, though demyelinated, axons?
elliberato
Family Member

Post by elliberato »

yasoo sou te kanis?

Who can figure this damn disease out. Just plain sucks.
bluesky63
Family Elder

Post by bluesky63 »

Who wrote about insulin? I apologize because I can never keep things straight when I read onscreen. I have asked the doctors, what could be my issue since I always feel better when I don't eat? They ignore me. A person has to eat -- but when I eat more I feel awful. Anyway, I just was reading the thread because spasticity is a big issue for me and I was struck by the comment about people feeling better when they fast, etc.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Bluesky – you asked,
Who wrote about insulin?
I think that would be lyndacarol – ME. As far as I know, I am the only one who suspects an insulin connection to MS.

As always, I encourage anyone with MS to request his doctor order a "fasting serum insulin test." I have four friends with MS, who requested this test, and who have elevated results. My levels have always been high, too.

There is no medication to reduce insulin levels; only diet can influence the insulin level.
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Post by Filmmaker »

well i guess the change in ithghtness is due to a bartonella co infection, bart is very active in the morning... and flares every week... check for it... oh yeah, and it does deplete magnesium...